POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : A little trick on big scenes Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:24:13 EDT (-0400)
  A little trick on big scenes (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: bancquart sebastien
Subject: A little trick on big scenes
Date: 27 Jul 2005 15:49:07
Message: <42e7e533$1@news.povray.org>
I noticed something that could be interesting for new users like me :
When we render a big scene, it can happen the parsing and the rendering is
very slow.
A little trick (on Windows): open the task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Suppr) and look
at the processes
Povray should run and use more than 90% of the processor power. If your
scene become very voluminous, you can see the memory utilisation growing
large and  the processor use dimnish, on VERY less than 90 %

If this is the case : your scene uses too much memory for your PC and POVRAY
uses virtual memory, which is very slow. Tryinog to optimize the code of
your scene could reduce the memory consumption. If not, close all other
progs during rendering.

Post a reply to this message

> If this is the case : your scene uses too much memory for your PC and POVRAY
> uses virtual memory, which is very slow. Tryinog to optimize the code of
> your scene could reduce the memory consumption. If not, close all other
> progs during rendering.

Another way is naturally increase the amount of RAM on the machine ;).
And/or close other programs that are using memory.

Today 1GB RAM + 1GB swap got too small for me...

--
Eero "Aero" Ahonen
   http://www.zbxt.net

Post a reply to this message

Wasn't it bancquart.sebastien who wrote:
>I noticed something that could be interesting for new users like me :
>When we render a big scene, it can happen the parsing and the rendering is
>very slow.
>A little trick (on Windows): open the task manager (Ctrl+Alt+Suppr) and look
>at the processes
>Povray should run and use more than 90% of the processor power. If your
>scene become very voluminous, you can see the memory utilisation growing
>large and  the processor use dimnish, on VERY less than 90 %
>
>If this is the case : your scene uses too much memory for your PC and POVRAY
>uses virtual memory, which is very slow. Tryinog to optimize the code of
>your scene could reduce the memory consumption. If not, close all other
>progs during rendering.

If you can't hear when your hard disk starts working hard to shuffle
data between real and virtual memory, then consider getting one of the
many small freeware programs that will sit on your taskbar and tell you
how much free real memory you've got.

I happen to use RamPage <http://www.jfitz.com> which will also sends
requests to Windows to free up some of the space it doesn't really need
when free RAM starts getting low, but there's lots of other similar
programs out there.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure