POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Text symbols Server Time
29 Jul 2024 06:20:38 EDT (-0400)
  Text symbols (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Bryan Heit
Subject: Text symbols
Date: 28 Jul 2006 10:43:15
Message: <44ca2283$1@news.povray.org>
I am trying to insert a copyright symbol into a string of text for an
image.  I cannot get this to work - if I copy the symbol in from word it
appears in the povray editor, but when rendered appears as a blank
space.  I've not found a font where the copyright symbol can be typed in
using the normal keys on the keyboard.  I've tried using different fonts
with no luck.  Is there a way around this?  Can a directly select a
character using it's font and hex code?  For example, the copyright
symbol is #00E3 in "symbol.ttf".

Thanx in advance

Bryan

Post a reply to this message

>I am trying to insert a copyright symbol into a string of text for an
>image.  I cannot get this to work - if I copy the symbol in from word it
>appears in the povray editor, but when rendered appears as a blank
>space.  I've not found a font where the copyright symbol can be typed in
>using the normal keys on the keyboard.  I've tried using different fonts
>with no luck.  Is there a way around this?  Can a directly select a
>character using it's font and hex code?  For example, the copyright
>symbol is #00E3 in "symbol.ttf".

Have you tried setting charset utf-8 in your global settings?
The default charset is ASCII.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

>> I am trying to insert a copyright symbol into a string of text for an
>> image.  I cannot get this to work - if I copy the symbol in from word it
>> appears in the povray editor, but when rendered appears as a blank
>> space.  I've not found a font where the copyright symbol can be typed in
>> using the normal keys on the keyboard.  I've tried using different fonts
>> with no luck.  Is there a way around this?  Can a directly select a
>> character using it's font and hex code?  For example, the copyright
>> symbol is #00E3 in "symbol.ttf".
>
> Have you tried setting charset utf-8 in your global settings?
> The default charset is ASCII.

That will not help at all as the character he enters won't be a valid UTF-8
character. He needs to either use \u00E3 in the string or use a UTF-8 input
file (not create-able with the POV-Ray editors currently), as explained in
the documentation.

	Thorsten, POV-Team

Post a reply to this message

>>> I am trying to insert a copyright symbol into a string of text for an
>>> image.  I cannot get this to work - if I copy the symbol in from word
>>> it appears in the povray editor, but when rendered appears as a blank
>>> space.  I've not found a font where the copyright symbol can be typed
>>> in using the normal keys on the keyboard.  I've tried using different
>>> fonts with no luck.  Is there a way around this?  Can a directly
>>> select a character using it's font and hex code?  For example, the
>>> copyright symbol is #00E3 in "symbol.ttf".
>>

>> Have you tried setting charset utf-8 in your global settings? The
>> default charset is ASCII.
>

> That will not help at all as the character he enters won't be a valid
> UTF-8 character. He needs to either use \u00E3 in the string or use a
> UTF-8 input file (not create-able with the POV-Ray editors currently),
> as explained in the documentation.
>
>     Thorsten, POV-Team

The \uooE3 inside the string worked perfectly.  Thank you for your help.

Bryan