POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : shadows/sunlight Server Time
28 Mar 2024 08:40:58 EDT (-0400)
  shadows/sunlight (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Julia
Subject: shadows/sunlight
Date: 5 Dec 2020 12:05:01
Message: <web.5fcbbd28869a7092f22e2ddd0@news.povray.org>
Hi,
there is another problem that i have been trying to figure out for the past
week, but i'm just starting to give up.
The problem is that there arent any shadows. Not only on the other side of the
sphere but also when its in front of another nothing happens.
Also when i dont put "ambiet" the spheres just get dark on both sides, still no
shadow.
here is the code:

#include "colors.inc"

camera {
        location <5,10,-60>
        look_at <0,0,0>
        angle 25
        }

light_source {
        <0,0,0>

               }

// słońce
 sphere {
     <0,0,0>, 10
   pigment {
        bozo
                turbulence 5
         color_map {
        [0.0 color <1,0,0>]
        [0.25 color <1,1,0>]
        [1.0 color <1,0.65,0>]
        }
     scale 3
   }
   normal {bumps 1.0}
   finish {ambient 1}

 scale 1/6

}

union
        {
        //ziemia
object        {  sphere {
        <0,0,0>, 3.7
   pigment {
        agate
                turbulence 1.5
         color_map {
         [0.0 color <1,1,1>]
         [0.10 color <0,0.5,0>]
         [1.0 color <0,0,1>]
         }
      scale 2
     }
  finish {ambient 0.8
              diffuse 0.5}

   scale 1/6
   rotate <0,23,0>
   rotate <0,-6260*clock,0>

 }   }

 object
  //księżyc
   {sphere {
        <8,0,0>, 1.5
   pigment {
        granite
                turbulence 1.4
         color_map {
         [0.0 color <1,1,1>]
         [0.10 color <.5,.5,.5>]
         [1.0 color <.8,.8,.8>]
         }
      scale 2
     }
       normal {bumps 1.0}

      finish {
      ambient 0.5
      brilliance 0.5 }

   scale 1/6
    rotate <5,-4680*clock,0>

 }
}

translate <9,0,0>
 rotate <0,-360*clock,0>
 }

thanks for help :))

Post a reply to this message

> [...]
>
> #include "colors.inc"
>
> camera {
>          location <5,10,-60>
>          look_at <0,0,0>
>          angle 25
>          }
>
> light_source {
>          <0,0,0>
>

>                 }
>

> // słońce
>   sphere {
>       <0,0,0>, 10
>     pigment {
>          bozo
>                  turbulence 5
>           color_map {
>          [0.0 color <1,0,0>]
>          [0.25 color <1,1,0>]
>          [1.0 color <1,0.65,0>]
>          }
>       scale 3
>     }
>     normal {bumps 1.0}
>     finish {ambient 1}
>
>   scale 1/6
>

>    rotate <0,380*clock,0> //obrót
> }
>

> ///////////////////////////////////////////
>
> union
>          {
>          //ziemia
> object        {  sphere {
>          <0,0,0>, 3.7
>     pigment {
>          agate
>                  turbulence 1.5
>           color_map {
>           [0.0 color <1,1,1>]
>           [0.10 color <0,0.5,0>]
>           [1.0 color <0,0,1>]
>           }
>        scale 2
>       }
>    finish {ambient 0.8
>                diffuse 0.5}
>
>     scale 1/6
>     rotate <0,23,0>
>     rotate <0,-6260*clock,0>
>    rotate <0,360*clock,0> //obót dni
>

>   }   }
>
>   object
>    //księżyc
>     {sphere {
>          <8,0,0>, 1.5
>     pigment {
>          granite
>                  turbulence 1.4
>           color_map {
>           [0.0 color <1,1,1>]
>           [0.10 color <.5,.5,.5>]
>           [1.0 color <.8,.8,.8>]
>           }
>        scale 2
>       }
>         normal {bumps 1.0}
>
>        finish {
>        ambient 0.5
>        brilliance 0.5 }
>
>     scale 1/6
>      rotate <5,-4680*clock,0>
>   rotate <0,-4680*clock,0> //obót dni
>   }
> }
>
> translate <9,0,0>
>   rotate <0,-360*clock,0>
>   }
>

> thanks for help :))
>
> try the looks_like modifier on the light source... used that first
sphere you have defined just after the light source in the looks_like
definition

Post a reply to this message

From: Ash Holsenback
Date: 5 Dec 2020 12:38:09
Message: <5fcbc581@news.povray.org>
On 12/5/20 12:35 PM, Ash Holsenback wrote:
> [...]
>>
>> camera {
>>          location <5,10,-60>
>>          look_at <0,0,0>
>>          angle 25
>>          }
>>
>> light_source {
>>          <0,0,0>
>>

>>                 }
>>

>> // słońce
>>   sphere {
>>       <0,0,0>, 10
>>     pigment {
>>          bozo
>>                  turbulence 5
>>           color_map {
>>          [0.0 color <1,0,0>]
>>          [0.25 color <1,1,0>]
>>          [1.0 color <1,0.65,0>]
>>          }
>>       scale 3
>>     }
>>     normal {bumps 1.0}
>>     finish {ambient 1}
>>
>>   scale 1/6
>>

>>    rotate <0,380*clock,0> //obrót
>> }
>>

>> ///////////////////////////////////////////
>>
>> union
>>          {
>>          //ziemia
>> object        {  sphere {
>>          <0,0,0>, 3.7
>>     pigment {
>>          agate
>>                  turbulence 1.5
>>           color_map {
>>           [0.0 color <1,1,1>]
>>           [0.10 color <0,0.5,0>]
>>           [1.0 color <0,0,1>]
>>           }
>>        scale 2
>>       }
>>    finish {ambient 0.8
>>                diffuse 0.5}
>>
>>     scale 1/6
>>     rotate <0,23,0>
>>     rotate <0,-6260*clock,0>
>>    rotate <0,360*clock,0> //obót dni
>>

>>   }   }
>>
>>   object
>>    //księżyc
>>     {sphere {
>>          <8,0,0>, 1.5
>>     pigment {
>>          granite
>>                  turbulence 1.4
>>           color_map {
>>           [0.0 color <1,1,1>]
>>           [0.10 color <.5,.5,.5>]
>>           [1.0 color <.8,.8,.8>]
>>           }
>>        scale 2
>>       }
>>         normal {bumps 1.0}
>>
>>        finish {
>>        ambient 0.5
>>        brilliance 0.5 }
>>
>>     scale 1/6
>>      rotate <5,-4680*clock,0>
>>   rotate <0,-4680*clock,0> //obót dni
>>   }
>> }
>>
>> translate <9,0,0>
>>   rotate <0,-360*clock,0>
>>   }
>>

>> thanks for help :))
>>
>> try the looks_like modifier on the light source... used that first
> sphere you have defined just after the light source in the looks_like

hmmm... post screwed up here's what i meant to say:

try the looks_like modifier on the light source... use that first

From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 5 Dec 2020 12:45:01
Message: <web.5fcbc65960c1d92ecf840be00@news.povray.org>
"Julia" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Hi,
> there is another problem that i have been trying to figure out for the past
> week, but i'm just starting to give up.
> The problem is that there arent any shadows. Not only on the other side of the
> sphere but also when its in front of another nothing happens.
> Also when i dont put "ambiet" the spheres just get dark on both sides, still no
> shadow.
> here is the code:
> light_source {
>         <0,0,0>
>                }
>  sphere {
>      <0,0,0>, 10
>    pigment {
>         bozo
>                 turbulence 5
>          color_map {
>         [0.0 color <1,0,0>]
>         [0.25 color <1,1,0>]
>         [1.0 color <1,0.65,0>]
>         }
>      scale 3
>    }
> }

You have hidden your light source inside at least one opaque sphere.
So I think that your problem is not a lack of shadows...

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Ash Holsenback
Date: 5 Dec 2020 12:48:28
Message: <5fcbc7ec$1@news.povray.org>
On 12/5/20 12:38 PM, Ash Holsenback wrote:
> hmmm... post screwed up here's what i meant to say:
>
> try the looks_like modifier on the light source... use that first
> sphere you have defined just after the light source in the looks_like
> definition

oh and while you're exploring looks_like in the docs...i thought i saw
another light_source issue. happy hunting!

Post a reply to this message

From: Ash Holsenback
Date: 5 Dec 2020 12:51:34
Message: <5fcbc8a6@news.povray.org>
On 12/5/20 12:41 PM, Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> You have hidden your light source inside at least one opaque sphere.
> So I think that your problem is not a lack of shadows...

i think the 1st sphere after the light source is the sun... lol didn't
account for that 2nd object

Post a reply to this message

From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 5 Dec 2020 13:20:01
Message: <web.5fcbcf3b60c1d92ecf840be00@news.povray.org>
Ash Holsenback <no### [at] spamcom> wrote:
> On 12/5/20 12:41 PM, Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> > You have hidden your light source inside at least one opaque sphere.
> > So I think that your problem is not a lack of shadows...
>
> i think the 1st sphere after the light source is the sun... lol didn't
> account for that 2nd object

Ok. After re-indenting I see that the last sphere (the moon ?) is in the union
with the earth sphere - and it is moved away from the origin, so the light
source is inside a single opaque sphere only.

So your suggestion to use looks_like (the sun sphere) for the light source is
the way to go.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

From: Julia
Date: 5 Dec 2020 14:20:05
Message: <web.5fcbdc9e60c1d92ef22e2ddd0@news.povray.org>
Ash Holsenback <no### [at] spamcom> wrote:
> On 12/5/20 12:35 PM, Ash Holsenback wrote:
> > On 12/5/20 12:02 PM, Julia wrote:
> >> Hi,
> >> there is another problem that i have been trying to figure out for the
> >> past
> >> week, but i'm just starting to give up.
> >> The problem is that there arent any shadows. Not only on the other
> >> side of the
> >> sphere but also when its in front of another nothing happens.
> >> Also when i dont put "ambiet" the spheres just get dark on both sides,
> >> still no
> >> shadow.
> >> here is the code:
> >>
> >> #include "colors.inc"
> >>
> >> camera {
> >>          location <5,10,-60>
> >>          look_at <0,0,0>
> >>          angle 25
> >>          }

> >> translate <9,0,0>
> >>   rotate <0,-360*clock,0>
> >>   }
> >>

> >> thanks for help :))
> >>
> >> try the looks_like modifier on the light source... used that first
> > sphere you have defined just after the light source in the looks_like
> > definition
>

> hmmm... post screwed up here's what i meant to say:
>
> try the looks_like modifier on the light source... use that first
> sphere you have defined just after the light source in the looks_like
> definition

i tried that but it did not changed anything

thanks anyway

Post a reply to this message

From: Julia
Date: 5 Dec 2020 14:25:07
Message: <web.5fcbde0260c1d92ef22e2ddd0@news.povray.org>
"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
> Ash Holsenback <no### [at] spamcom> wrote:
> > On 12/5/20 12:41 PM, Tor Olav Kristensen wrote:
> > > You have hidden your light source inside at least one opaque sphere.
> > > So I think that your problem is not a lack of shadows...
> >
> > i think the 1st sphere after the light source is the sun... lol didn't
> > account for that 2nd object
>
> Ok. After re-indenting I see that the last sphere (the moon ?) is in the union
> with the earth sphere - and it is moved away from the origin, so the light
> source is inside a single opaque sphere only.
>
> So your suggestion to use looks_like (the sun sphere) for the light source is
> the way to go.
>
> --
> Tor Olav
> http://subcube.com
> https://github.com/t-o-k

oh.. i shoud have said that its an amimation of the sum, the earth and the moon

i think the probem is created by the finishes im using
because if i change it from ambient it's bearly wisible

thanks anyway, i will try to figure out something

Post a reply to this message

From: Julia
Date: 5 Dec 2020 15:50:06
Message: <web.5fcbf26b60c1d92ef22e2ddd0@news.povray.org>
"Julia" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> "Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
> > Ash Holsenback <no### [at] spamcom> wrote:
> > >
> > > i think the 1st sphere after the light source is the sun... lol didn't
> > > account for that 2nd object
> >
> > Ok. After re-indenting I see that the last sphere (the moon ?) is in the union
> > with the earth sphere - and it is moved away from the origin, so the light
> > source is inside a single opaque sphere only.
> >
> > So your suggestion to use looks_like (the sun sphere) for the light source is
> > the way to go.
> >
> > --
> > Tor Olav
> > http://subcube.com
> > https://github.com/t-o-k
>
> oh.. i shoud have said that its an amimation of the sum, the earth and the moon
>
> i think the probem is created by the finishes im using
> because if i change it from ambient it's bearly wisible
>
> thanks anyway, i will try to figure out something

i'm still trying but nothing seems to work any batter
do you have any other suggestions?
sorry for the trobule