POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Internal function Server Time
28 Mar 2024 13:38:37 EDT (-0400)
  Internal function (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: kurtz le pirate
Subject: Internal function
Date: 18 Feb 2017 06:18:15
Message: <58a82d77$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

How to convert old scene which uses internal function ?
POVRay 3.7 raise this error : Function 'internal(XX)' does not exist.

Thanks

--
Kurtz le pirate
Compagnie de la Banquise

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Internal function
Date: 18 Feb 2017 07:33:32
Message: <58a83f1c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 18.02.2017 um 12:18 schrieb kurtz le pirate:

> How to convert old scene which uses internal function ?
> POVRay 3.7 raise this error : Function 'internal(XX)' does not exist.

Are you sure this is a genuine POV-Ray scene (as opposed to e.g. a
MegaPOV scene)? I'd be surprised if POV-Ray ever ditched any of its
inbuilt functions or renumbered them.

That said, in either case you'll have to:

1. Figure out what mathematical function the numeric code "XX" is
supposed to represent.

2. Replace the unsupported `internal` function with either:

2.a) The corresponding named function from `functions.inc` (if it exists).

2.b) A corresponding user-defined function.

2.c) A user-defined macro (if the function is used in a manner that it
can be replaced with a macro).

The trickiest part will be Step 1. There are essentially two ways you
can do this:

1.a) Examine the scene and guess what the function is.

1.b) Examine the source code of whatever version or derivative of
POV-Ray the scene was originally rendered with, to find out what the
internal function actually did.

We may be able to help you with this, but only if you disclose some more
details. For an attempt at 1.a) we'd probably need to see the entire
scene. For an attempt at 1.b) we'll need to know at least the internal
number of the function in question (the "XX" part), and anything that
might help to identify the version originally used.

Post a reply to this message