POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Simple background Server Time
29 Jul 2024 02:32:04 EDT (-0400)
  Simple background (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Ansgar
Subject: Simple background
Date: 27 Apr 2007 18:30:02
Message: <web.463278659dc17a0fcb86afba0@news.povray.org>
I'd like to define a background colour that just paints the background in
the given colour but does *not* affect the scene, like being reflected in
mirror materials. Can it be done?

Thanks in advance,
Ansgar

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Simple background
Date: 27 Apr 2007 18:50:55
Message: <46327e4f@news.povray.org>
Ansgar <Tem### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> I'd like to define a background colour that just paints the background in
> the given colour but does *not* affect the scene, like being reflected in
> mirror materials. Can it be done?

  Well, you could put a large inverted sphere of the specified color and
assign 'no_reflection' to it.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> I'd like to define a background colour that just paints the background in
> the given colour but does *not* affect the scene, like being reflected in
> mirror materials. Can it be done?

For a simple color, look up the keyword "background". Otherwise,
try using a background object with no_reflection and no_shadow.

Post a reply to this message

> > I'd like to define a background colour that just paints the background in
> > the given colour but does *not* affect the scene, like being reflected in
> > mirror materials. Can it be done?
>
>   Well, you could put a large inverted sphere of the specified color and
> assign 'no_reflection' to it.
>
> --
>                                                           - Warp

You might also want ambient 1 on that large sphere to get the exact color.
You aren't using radiosity are you?  I'm not sure what Warp meant by
inverted.
Charles

Post a reply to this message

Thanks. Could have thought of that solution myself. :)

Ansgar

Post a reply to this message

>> > I'd like to define a background colour that just paints the background in
>> > the given colour but does *not* affect the scene, like being reflected in
>> > mirror materials. Can it be done?
>>
>>   Well, you could put a large inverted sphere of the specified color and
>> assign 'no_reflection' to it.
>>
>> --
>>                                                           - Warp
>

>You might also want ambient 1 on that large sphere to get the exact color.
>You aren't using radiosity are you?  I'm not sure what Warp meant by
>inverted.

Use the inverse (or hollow) keyword, otherwise it affects things like
media and fog.

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

Mike Williams <nos### [at] econymdemoncouk> wrote:
> Wasn't it Charles C who wrote:
> >Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
> >>
> >>   Well, you could put a large inverted sphere of the specified color and
> >> assign 'no_reflection' to it.
> >>
> >> --
> >>                                                           - Warp
> >

> >You might also want ambient 1 on that large sphere to get the exact color.
> >You aren't using radiosity are you?  I'm not sure what Warp meant by
> >inverted.
>
> Use the inverse (or hollow) keyword, otherwise it affects things like
> media and fog.
>
> --
> Mike Williams
> Gentleman of Leisure

Ahh, got it.  I was distracted by thinking of a different kind of sphere
inversion - some interesting pictures somebody posted a couple months ago.
Charles