POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : making perfectly transparent object with color Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:23:44 EDT (-0400)
  making perfectly transparent object with color (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: yoon
Subject: making perfectly transparent object with color
Date: 17 Jul 2006 12:05:58
Message: <44bbb566@news.povray.org>
At first, make a white ball and then make a red box, which is bigger than
the ball, in front of the ball.

If I use the command "filter" or "transmit", I could see the ball through
the box.

But the color of ball(white) seem to be redder and dimmer than its original
because the light traverse through the red box.

If I put more red boxes in front of the ball, I will not be able to see the
ball because many boxes screen the light emitted from the white ball.

How can I see the white ball even if there are many boxes between the ball
and the camera?

Thank you.

JH

 Yonsei University, Department of Astronomy
 Seoul, South Korea
 Graduate Student, Room #703
 Joo Heon Yoon in GEM
 jhy### [at] galaxyyonseiackr

yoon nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 17/07/2006 12:05:
> At first, make a white ball and then make a red box, which is bigger than
> the ball, in front of the ball.
>
> If I use the command "filter" or "transmit", I could see the ball through
> the box.
>
> But the color of ball(white) seem to be redder and dimmer than its original
> because the light traverse through the red box.
>
> If I put more red boxes in front of the ball, I will not be able to see the
> ball because many boxes screen the light emitted from the white ball.
>
> How can I see the white ball even if there are many boxes between the ball
> and the camera?
>
> Thank you.
>
> JH

As you add transparent box, you need to trace through more and more surfaces.
The maximum number of surfaces you can pass is set by max_trace_level, it's
default value is 5. So, with 3 box you get 2 levels for each box (front and back
face) and 1 for the sphere, making a total of 7. You thus need to set
max_trace_level 7 to be able to see the sphere, otherwize, you see black.
Add:
global_settings{ max_trace_level TraceValue} to your scene. Adjust TraceValue so
that your transparency is completely restored. The global_settings{} block can
be about anywhere in the scene, but is usualy placed near the beggining.

--
Alain

From: Meothuru
Date: 20 Jul 2006 01:35:00
Message: <web.44bf14fc8936040dbc6f282e0@news.povray.org>
"yoon" <jhy### [at] galaxyyonseiackr> wrote:
> At first, make a white ball and then make a red box, which is bigger than
> the ball, in front of the ball.
>
> If I use the command "filter" or "transmit", I could see the ball through
> the box.
>
> But the color of ball(white) seem to be redder and dimmer than its original
> because the light traverse through the red box.
>
> If I put more red boxes in front of the ball, I will not be able to see the
> ball because many boxes screen the light emitted from the white ball.
>
> How can I see the white ball even if there are many boxes between the ball
> and the camera?
>
> Thank you.
>
> JH
>
> --
>  Yonsei University, Department of Astronomy
>  Seoul, South Korea
>  Graduate Student, Room #703
>  Joo Heon Yoon in GEM
>  jhy### [at] galaxyyonseiackr

absolutly untested....
but I first would try out:

The pigment-color of the box  = "Clear"

The pigment-color of the sphere = white*1.2"
(to lighten the "white" of the sphere)

Post a reply to this message

From: yoon
Date: 20 Jul 2006 11:22:01
Message: <44bf9f99$1@news.povray.org>
Thank you.

But, both methods do not work.

I put a large number of boxes in front of the ball and the maximum of the
"max_trace_level" 256. It is not enough large I think...

From: Alain
Date: 20 Jul 2006 18:30:22
Message: <44c003fe@news.povray.org>
yoon nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 20/07/2006 11:22:
> Thank you.
>
> But, both methods do not work.
>
> I put a large number of boxes in front of the ball and the maximum of the
> "max_trace_level" 256. It is not enough large I think...

Why do you want to see trough over 128 boxes?
If it's to increase the colouring, you should be better to use this:
interior{fade_color Red fade_distance 1}
If you reduce the fade_distance, the colouring will increase.
By the way, the ball (sphere) don't emit light, it's normaly lighted by a
light_source.
The only way that an object can effectively emit light, is in a radiosity scene
if the object have a non-zero ambient value.

--
Alain
'I had to hit him -- he was starting to make sense.'