POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Generating images with transparency (alpha channel)? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 08:21:19 EDT (-0400)
  Generating images with transparency (alpha channel)? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Hadmut
Subject: Generating images with transparency (alpha channel)?
Date: 20 Jun 2006 19:07:38
Message: <44987FB7.3000303@msgid.danisch.de>
Hi,

newbie question:

How can I generate an image (PNG file) with transparency?

I can make objects in a povray scene transparent, but not the
background. Whatever I do, every single pixel of the resulting pictures
becomes any solid color. If the ray hits just nothing, it is black.
I can have any color with the background command or by defining a plane,
 but not transparency.

Would I would like to do:

- Have rays hitting the background result in a transparent pixel.
  E.g. when tracing a cube, everything outside the cube becomes
  transparent.

- More complicated: Have shadows on transparent background, i.e. turn
  the full transparency into black with alpha channnel between 0 and 1

I'd like to use that to render objects to be put on web pages.
rectangular images are useless, I need to have PNGs with just the object
(and a drop shadow).

Any hint how to do it?

regards
Hadmut