POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Difference isn't working for me Server Time
29 Jul 2024 12:28:11 EDT (-0400)
  Difference isn't working for me (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Prodan
Subject: Difference isn't working for me
Date: 20 Feb 2006 11:35:01
Message: <web.43f9ee359c6b495eb3e251180@news.povray.org>
I can't get the difference function to work. Any ideas?
the code is:

 #include "colors.inc"
 camera {
    location <-3, 10, -50>
    look_at <5, 5, 0>
 }
 background{White}
 light_source { <-5, 10, 4> color White }
 light_source { <-3, 10, 5> color White }
 difference {
     box { <0, 0, 0>, <6, 53, 36> }
     box { <0, 0, 34>, <6, 51, 36> }
     box { <0, 0, -1>, <6, 49, 2> }
     box { <0, 0, -1>, <6, 47, 2> }
     box { <0, 0, -1>, <6, 45, 2> }
     box { <0, 0, -1>, <6, 43, 2> }
     box { <0, 0, -1>, <6, 41, 2> }
     box { <0, 0, -1>, <6, 39, 2> }
     box { <0, 0, -1>, <6, 37, 2> }
     box { <0, 0, -1>, <6, 35, 2> }
     box { <0, 0, -1>, <6, 33, 2> }
     box { <0, 0, -1>, <6, 31, 2> }
     box { <0, 0, -1>, <6, 29, 2> }
     box { <0, 0, -1>, <6, 27, 2> }
     pigment { color Red }
 }

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Nikias
Subject: Re: Difference isn't working for me
Date: 20 Feb 2006 12:11:22
Message: <43f9f83a@news.povray.org>
> I can't get the difference function to work. Any ideas?

I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve, but you do know that every box
after the first is being subtracted from the first, right? And since every
box after the the third has one edge at <0,0,-1>, you might as well just us
the the third box, because every one after that just tries to cut off a
section which is already cut off by the third.

Maybe you should experiment with difference and various shapes a little more
to get a feeling for what it does, that's what I had to do in the beginning
of my POV-career. :-)

Regards,
Tim

--