POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Help getting a texture right Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:34:01 EDT (-0400)
  Help getting a texture right (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Steve Reeves
Subject: Help getting a texture right
Date: 4 Nov 2005 11:25:01
Message: <web.436b8b0c1b3634613a1551aa0@news.povray.org>
This is a very new user-ish question.  :>

I'm trying to make something very simple.  It's a towel.  Making the towel
itself was easy enough, but my problem is the texture.  Towels need to look
a bit rough.  Every texture I've tried so far has come out looking
unnaturally smooth.   (Almost metal-like)  I've tried raising the roughness
value for the texture, but that doesn't really help too much.  Since I
don't know povray too well yet, I'm not sure what else to try.

Anyway, if anyone can help me out here, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks!

-- Steve

Post a reply to this message

Steve Reeves nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-11-04 11:23:
> This is a very new user-ish question.  :>
>
> I'm trying to make something very simple.  It's a towel.  Making the towel
> itself was easy enough, but my problem is the texture.  Towels need to look
> a bit rough.  Every texture I've tried so far has come out looking
> unnaturally smooth.   (Almost metal-like)  I've tried raising the roughness
> value for the texture, but that doesn't really help too much.  Since I
> don't know povray too well yet, I'm not sure what else to try.
>
> Anyway, if anyone can help me out here, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Thanks!
>

> -- Steve

Have you tried using a normal in the finish. A finish with NO reflection, phong nor
specular, but a
normal scaled small, try granite or leopard with a scale agound 0.01 or maybe smaller.
--
Alain
A true friend is someone who reaches for your hand