POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Two questions Server Time
29 Jul 2024 16:19:53 EDT (-0400)
  Two questions (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Rick DeNatale
Subject: Two questions
Date: 11 Oct 2005 11:01:11
Message: <434bd3b7$1@news.povray.org>
I've been using povray for a couple of weeks now. I've got
two questions which have been bedeviling me.

1) Is it possible to set up rendering so that the resulting png has a
transparent background?  I've tried both

background { rgbt <0,0,0,1> }

and

background { rgbt <1,1,1,1> }

but when I look at the result in the Gimp, the background seems to be
black or white respectively.  I've googled and searched these fora but I
can't seem to find the answer.

2) I'm modelling a Mercury spacecraft, which I want to put in low-earth
orbit, and I'm having problems with the lighting. The light sources
would be the Sun and the Earth. I've tried a parallel light source for
the sun, and a large white sphere out of view for the Earth.  I didn't
seem to be getting much if any "earthshine" this way, so right now I'm
using a large area light, but I'm still not happy with the results, is
there a better way to set up this lighting scene?

Post a reply to this message

> I've been using povray for a couple of weeks now. I've got
> two questions which have been bedeviling me.
>
> 1) Is it possible to set up rendering so that the resulting png has a
> transparent background?  I've tried both

Try:
Output_Alpha=On

in your ini  file
HTH
Marc

Post a reply to this message

Rick DeNatale nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-10-11 10:59:
> I've been using povray for a couple of weeks now. I've got
> two questions which have been bedeviling me.
>
> 1) Is it possible to set up rendering so that the resulting png has a
> transparent background?  I've tried both
>
> background { rgbt <0,0,0,1> }
>
> and
>
> background { rgbt <1,1,1,1> }
>
> but when I look at the result in the Gimp, the background seems to be
> black or white respectively.  I've googled and searched these fora but I
> can't seem to find the answer.
>
> 2) I'm modelling a Mercury spacecraft, which I want to put in low-earth
> orbit, and I'm having problems with the lighting. The light sources
> would be the Sun and the Earth. I've tried a parallel light source for
> the sun, and a large white sphere out of view for the Earth.  I didn't
> seem to be getting much if any "earthshine" this way, so right now I'm
> using a large area light, but I'm still not happy with the results, is
> there a better way to set up this lighting scene?

Point 1) as Marc said, or you can use +UA on the command line. The text box on the
right of the
resolution drop-list.

Point 2) Place a large sphere with an image_map of the earth where you want the earth
to be and use
radiosity. The default settings could be OK with a recursion_limit set to 1.

It will look like #global_settings{ radiosity{ recursion_limit 1 } }

Without radiosity, you don't get the inter diffuse reflection.

--
Alain
Disc space -- the final frontier!

Post a reply to this message

> Point 2) Place a large sphere with an image_map of the earth where you
 > want the earth to be and use radiosity. The default settings could be
 > OK with a recursion_limit set to 1.

Make sure you use a positive ambient value in the earth's finish for
this to work ;)

HTH,
Florian

Post a reply to this message

>> Point 2) Place a large sphere with an image_map of the earth where you
>
>> want the earth to be and use radiosity. The default settings could be
>> OK with a recursion_limit set to 1.
>
> Make sure you use a positive ambient value in the earth's finish for
> this to work ;)
>

> HTH,
> Florian

Thanks all, I'll try those suggestions.

If I place the earth outside of the camera's view, I guess I can just
use a solid color sphere (white or maybe blue) with an ambient value
based on the earth's albedo.

Post a reply to this message

> Make sure you use a positive ambient value in the earth's finish for
> this to work ;)

This isn't necessary if the sunlight is hitting the earth.

 - Slime
 [ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message

> Rick DeNatale nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-10-11 10:59:
>
>> I've been using povray for a couple of weeks now. I've got
>> two questions which have been bedeviling me.
>>
>> 1) Is it possible to set up rendering so that the resulting png has a
>> transparent background?  I've tried both
>>
>> background { rgbt <0,0,0,1> }
>>
>> and
>>
>> background { rgbt <1,1,1,1> }
>>
>> but when I look at the result in the Gimp, the background seems to be
>> black or white respectively.  I've googled and searched these fora but I
>> can't seem to find the answer.

> Point 1) as Marc said, or you can use +UA on the command line. The text
> box on the right of the resolution drop-list.

Not sure what you mean by the resolution drop-list.  I'm using povray on
Linux. I've seen some evidence of a gui front-end on Windows. Is that
what you're talking about?

Post a reply to this message

Rick DeNatale <ric### [at] denhaven2com> wrote:
> > Point 1) as Marc said, or you can use +UA on the command line.

> Not sure what you mean by the resolution drop-list.  I'm using povray on
> Linux.

  Was "on the command line" somehow unclear?

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

> This isn't necessary if the sunlight is hitting the earth.

Ah, yes of course. Didn't think about that. Would be the more realistic
way anyhow :)

Florian

Post a reply to this message

Rick DeNatale nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-10-13 12:47:
> Alain wrote:
>
>>Rick DeNatale nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-10-11 10:59:
>>

>>Point 1) as Marc said, or you can use +UA on the command line. The text
>>box on the right of the resolution drop-list.
>

> Not sure what you mean by the resolution drop-list.  I'm using povray on
> Linux. I've seen some evidence of a gui front-end on Windows. Is that
> what you're talking about?
That's on windows, but the part about the command line option still hold true, just
not in the same
place. It's just that "most" new users seems to be using windows.

--
Alain
Bad spellers of the world UNTIE!