POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : POV on USB Drive? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:16:29 EDT (-0400)
  POV on USB Drive? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: ziroc
Subject: POV on USB Drive?
Date: 15 Jun 2005 14:15:00
Message: <web.42b06f2c3395c29486631d960@news.povray.org>
Hi all,
Maybe I have missed it but I was wondering if POV could be run from a USB
thumb drive.
The company I work for will not allow us to install programs on our
computers but they are fine with programs from USB Drives (I guess the
management thinks that is safe)

I just wanted to see if anybody else has tried that before I get myself into
a blackhole.

Thanks again for any help you can offer

Post a reply to this message

> Maybe I have missed it but I was wondering if POV could be run from a USB
> thumb drive.
> The company I work for will not allow us to install programs on our
> computers but they are fine with programs from USB Drives (I guess the
> management thinks that is safe)
>
> I just wanted to see if anybody else has tried that before I get myself into
> a blackhole.
>
> Thanks again for any help you can offer

If its the windows version, It does require registry settings, so the
answer would be you could install it to thumb drive, but it will require
entries in the registry.

--
~Mike

Things! Billions of them!

Post a reply to this message

Yeah, I've a Freecom USB external HD and I used Pov-Ray from it. It works
without problems.

Regards,
Oleguer

Mike Raiford <mra### [at] hotmailcom> wrote:
> If its the windows version, It does require registry settings, so the
> answer would be you could install it to thumb drive, but it will require
> entries in the registry.

  I thought winpov3.6.1 was fixed so that it could be run without an
actual installation process. Never tried, though.

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

>   I thought winpov3.6.1 was fixed so that it could be run without an
> actual installation process. Never tried, though.

Hmm. I wasn't aware. I thought POV still had a need for registry settings.

--
~Mike

Things! Billions of them!

Post a reply to this message

Mike Raiford nous apporta ses lumieres en ce 2005-06-16 08:26:
> Warp wrote:
>
>>   I thought winpov3.6.1 was fixed so that it could be run without an
>> actual installation process. Never tried, though.
>

> Hmm. I wasn't aware. I thought POV still had a need for registry settings.

If it don't find them, it will create them based on the actual path from whitch it's
been run. In
that case, every settings will revert to the default ones. (acording to my personal
experience)

Alain