POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Making a Window Server Time
30 Jul 2024 04:18:56 EDT (-0400)
  Making a Window (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Jim
Subject: Making a Window
Date: 30 Aug 2004 13:26:42
Message: <41336443.4020109@netscape.com>
Hi all,

I've created a 6-sided conical-sweep prism-like object.  Unfortunately,
I needed to control the angle at which the sides "cant" in, so I
couldn't use the conical-sweep prism.

Nor could I use a series of polygons (well, I guess I could) because of
all the translation/rotations necessary to get the sides to meet (the
top and bottom are polygons because I only had to translate by a fixed
amount along the y-axis...a known quanityt).

So, I created meshes for each side.  I could easily calculate the
vertices and, with a few parameter changes (like height, width, length,
cant angle) I can manipulate it as I desire.

However, now I want to put a window on the front face of this thing.
Because it has to be the same shape as the front face (a trapezoid
angled in the -z direction), I have to use polygons or meshes (again, I
have less control when trying to make it a prism and
rotating/translating it).

To do this, I somehow need to cut a hole into the front-face of this
object...and I'm not sure how to do it.  So, how does one take a
surface, like a plane, and cut a hole in it?  I thought I could simply
use "difference" but then both objects go away and I'm left with some
scattered dots resembling the outline of my window.

Thanks.
-Jim

Post a reply to this message