POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Process to create an image Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:23:46 EDT (-0400)
  Process to create an image (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: CG
Subject: Process to create an image
Date: 15 Aug 2004 13:40:00
Message: <web.411f9f82f4e9eb579c95de130@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I just discovered POV-Ray and I am impressed by the images that other users
have created using the software.  I downloaded it and had gone through the
first couple tutorials included in the Help file.  Is there an easier way
to create the scene?  For example, the tutorial selected T_Stone25 as the
texture for the box.  But how do I know what the T_Stone25 texture look
like?  There are other stone textures.  Is there a texture viewer?  If I
want to place a box somewhere on the scene, is there some kind of GUI that
would allow me to drag and drop the box on the scene?

It is hard to visualize where the objects are and what they look like.  What
is a typical work flow (or process) that an experienced POV-Ray user use to
create a scene?

Thanks.

CG.

Post a reply to this message

> want to place a box somewhere on the scene, is there some kind of GUI that
> would allow me to drag and drop the box on the scene?

There is Moray for Windows.

> It is hard to visualize where the objects are and what they look like.  What
> is a typical work flow (or process) that an experienced POV-Ray user use to
> create a scene?

Imagination to get started.  Remember they did not learn to use POV-Ray in a
day.  To master POV-Ray takes time, patience and sufficient free time.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

> But how do I know what the T_Stone25 texture look
> like?  There are other stone textures.  Is there a texture viewer?

POV-Ray comes with a portfolio of all shapes and textures, you have to
render it yourself. It can be found in the directory:
.../pov-ray_directory/scenes/protfolio/

Read the readme file in that directory before you start rendering.

Ingo

Post a reply to this message

CG nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 15/08/2004 13:38... :

>Hi,
>
>I just discovered POV-Ray and I am impressed by the images that other users
>have created using the software.  I downloaded it and had gone through the
>first couple tutorials included in the Help file.  Is there an easier way
>to create the scene?  For example, the tutorial selected T_Stone25 as the
>texture for the box.  But how do I know what the T_Stone25 texture look
>like?  There are other stone textures.  Is there a texture viewer?  If I
>want to place a box somewhere on the scene, is there some kind of GUI that
>would allow me to drag and drop the box on the scene?
>
>It is hard to visualize where the objects are and what they look like.  What
>is a typical work flow (or process) that an experienced POV-Ray user use to
>create a scene?
>
>Thanks.
>
>CG.

You can render a scene containing samples of all the stone textures and
print it. A serie of boxes each with a texture with a text to identify
what texture is used.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Phil Cook
Date: 16 Aug 2004 09:13:27
Message: <opscttm7i6efp2ch@news.povray.org>
And lo on Sun, 15 Aug 2004 13:38:10 EDT, CG <nomail@nomail> did spake,
saying:

> Hi,
>
> I just discovered POV-Ray and I am impressed by the images that other
> users
> have created using the software.  I downloaded it and had gone through
> the
> first couple tutorials included in the Help file.  Is there an easier way
> to create the scene?  For example, the tutorial selected T_Stone25 as the
> texture for the box.  But how do I know what the T_Stone25 texture look
> like?  There are other stone textures.  Is there a texture viewer?
<snip>

In addition to the other replies you could also check out
http://texlib.povray.org/ which will show you the main textures in a
variety of different ways.

--
Phil Cook

--
All thoughts and comments are my own unless otherwise stated and I am
happy to be proven wrong.

Post a reply to this message

From: CG
Date: 16 Aug 2004 23:35:00
Message: <web.41217baa4018c8ea9c95de130@news.povray.org>
Thanks for all replies.  I rendered all .ini files in the <pov-ray
dir>/scenes/portfolio directory.  I also discovered that there are so many
examples in the <pov-ray dir>/scenes directory.  Now, I just need time to
learn them.

-CG.