POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : How to know the highest point of a sub-area of a highfield ? Server Time
30 Jul 2024 06:28:11 EDT (-0400)
  How to know the highest point of a sub-area of a highfield ? (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: destroyedlolo
Subject: How to know the highest point of a sub-area of a highfield ?
Date: 24 Jul 2004 07:32:49
Message: <41025679.4080705@yahoo.com>
Hi all,

I have a hightfield and I put the camera on it's surface (thanks to
trace() function and I add 10m to no be "inside" the HF).

Unfortunaly, my view point should be in a hole of my terrain so ... I
can't see nothing in this case.

There is a way to find the maximum height of, let say, 100m around my
view point ? (meters is the scale I use).

Thanks for your help.

Laurent

Post a reply to this message

> I have a hightfield and I put the camera on it's surface (thanks to
> trace() function and I add 10m to no be "inside" the HF).
>
> Unfortunaly, my view point should be in a hole of my terrain so ... I
> can't see nothing in this case.
>
> There is a way to find the maximum height of, let say, 100m around my
> view point ? (meters is the scale I use).

Sure, you just have to sample the area of the heightfield with trace in
steps not larger than the heightfield resolution.

But for ensuring the camera does not look at a 'wall' it is much more
efficient to trace from the camera in viewing direction.

Christoph

Last updated 06 Jul. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______