POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : tapering an object Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:30:05 EDT (-0400)
  tapering an object (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Mick Hazelgrove
Subject: tapering an object
Date: 16 May 2004 14:51:21
Message: <40a7b829$1@news.povray.org>
In this case an isosurface - is there a way of transforming an isosurface so
thet the top is made thinner than the bottom?

Mick

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Subject: Re: tapering an object
Date: 16 May 2004 16:00:12
Message: <40a7c84c$1@news.povray.org>
Mick Hazelgrove nous apporta ses lumieres ainsi en ce 2004/05/16 14:52... :

>In this case an isosurface - is there a way of transforming an isosurface so
>thet the top is made thinner than the bottom?
>
>Mick

Yes by using an inverted gradient y to modulate the horizontal size.
With a maximum value at the bottom reatching zero at the top, you
multiply the x and z sizes by the gradient value. You can also use some
function that depend on the vertical position if you want a non-linear
tapering.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Williams
Date: 17 May 2004 13:18:01
Message: <oBNWOBAgUHqAFwfa@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Mick Hazelgrove who wrote:
>In this case an isosurface - is there a way of transforming an isosurface so
>thet the top is made thinner than the bottom?

Here's a non-linear taper:

#declare F to be your original function(x,y,z) then use

isosurface {
     function{F(x*(1.5+y/2),y,z*(1.5+y/2))}

This tapers from the initial width at y=-1 to half the width at y=1

--
Mike Williams
Gentleman of Leisure

Post a reply to this message

From: Mick Hazelgrove
Date: 20 May 2004 17:02:08
Message: <40ad1cd0@news.povray.org>
Thanks
I'd almost forgotten I'd posted this as the problem has changed direction,
however now I've seen your replys I'll integrate this - somehow!