POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : image resolution Server Time
30 Jul 2024 10:22:38 EDT (-0400)
  image resolution (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: paul J
Subject: image resolution
Date: 16 Jul 2004 11:35:15
Message: <40f7f5b3$1@news.povray.org>
Hi folks.

I need to make an illustration for a scientific journal (using POV)
which is 500 dpi  (tiff file). if I know the ideal print dimensions
(3"x5"), what size should I render? I am probably being stupid and not
thinking abou this correctly. ;-)

thanks!

paul

Post a reply to this message

3 inch by 5 inch times 500 dots per inch would work out
to 1500 by 2500 dots (or pixels)

paul J wrote:
> Hi folks.
>
> I need to make an illustration for a scientific journal (using POV)
> which is 500 dpi  (tiff file). if I know the ideal print dimensions
> (3"x5"), what size should I render? I am probably being stupid and not
> thinking abou this correctly. ;-)
If you used an 'or' in stead of a 'and not' I would probably agree,
now I don't know.

	Andrel

Post a reply to this message

From: andrel
Date: 16 Jul 2004 12:20:04
Message: <40F80062.5080602@hotmail.com>
andrel wrote:
>> I am probably being stupid and not
>> thinking abou this correctly. ;-)
>
> If you used an 'or' in stead of a 'and not' I would probably agree,
> now I don't know.

I was too fast with the send button, should have been 'or not',
and possibly 'had used' but that is a minor problem,

Post a reply to this message

From: paul J
Date: 16 Jul 2004 12:24:39
Message: <40f80147$1@news.povray.org>
Thanks for the info, turns out I was being stupid _and_ not thinking
correctly. I find the two tend to go together, at least for me :-)

andrel wrote:

> 3 inch by 5 inch times 500 dots per inch would work out
> to 1500 by 2500 dots (or pixels)
>
> paul J wrote:
>
>> Hi folks.
>>
>> I need to make an illustration for a scientific journal (using POV)
>> which is 500 dpi  (tiff file). if I know the ideal print dimensions
>> (3"x5"), what size should I render? I am probably being stupid and not
>> thinking abou this correctly. ;-)
>
> If you used an 'or' in stead of a 'and not' I would probably agree,
> now I don't know.
>
>     Andrel

Post a reply to this message

From: Kurts
Date: 16 Jul 2004 14:15:46
Message: <kurtzlepirate-4F65EA.20154516072004@news.povray.org>
In article <40f7f5b3$1@news.povray.org>, paul J <pdj### [at] ucdavisedu> wrote:

> Hi folks.
>
> I need to make an illustration for a scientific journal (using POV)
> which is 500 dpi  (tiff file). if I know the ideal print dimensions
> (3"x5"), what size should I render? I am probably being stupid and not
> thinking abou this correctly. ;-)
>
> thanks!
>
> paul

500 dpi for 3 i -> 3 x 500 = 1500
500 dpi for 5 i -> 5 x 500 = 2500

  ---> 1500x2500 ??

Post a reply to this message

From: Ricardo Miguel Pereyra
Date: 16 Jul 2004 16:36:04
Message: <40f83c34@news.povray.org>
Hi.

Yes, 3"x5" is 1500x2500 pixels, but the image output image from pov are in
screen resolution, in my system 72 dot per inch.
If your system works in the same way you need to change the resolution
manualy using a graphic editor(by example Gimp).

Sorry my bad english.

> In article <40f7f5b3$1@news.povray.org>, paul J <pdj### [at] ucdavisedu>
wrote:

> > Hi folks.
> >
> > I need to make an illustration for a scientific journal (using POV)
> > which is 500 dpi  (tiff file). if I know the ideal print dimensions
> > (3"x5"), what size should I render? I am probably being stupid and not
> > thinking abou this correctly. ;-)
> >
> > thanks!
> >
> > paul
> >

> 500 dpi for 3 i -> 3 x 500 = 1500
> 500 dpi for 5 i -> 5 x 500 = 2500
>
>   ---> 1500x2500 ??

Post a reply to this message

From: Kurts
Date: 17 Jul 2004 05:14:10
Message: <kurtzlepirate-C2823E.11140817072004@news.povray.org>
In article <40f83c34@news.povray.org>, "Ricardo Miguel Pereyra" <no### [at] spamcom>
wrote:

> Yes, 3"x5" is 1500x2500 pixels, but the image output image from pov are in
> screen resolution, in my system 72 dot per inch.
> If your system works in the same way you need to change the resolution
> manualy using a graphic editor(by example Gimp).

  no ! image output is 1500x2500 regardless of screen resolution.
  1 pixel is 1 pixel.