POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Deformed Plane Server Time
30 Jul 2024 14:25:25 EDT (-0400)
  Deformed Plane (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Stephen
Subject: Deformed Plane
Date: 1 Apr 2004 21:55:44
Message: <406cd630$1@news.povray.org>
I'm hoping someone will give me a nudge in a useful direction to help me
build an object.   I'm visualizing a plane which I want to deform with some
smooth wavy curves. I can probably generate some mathmatical relationships
between the curves, but it's kinda a free-form design at the moment. I'm
just not sure where to start.

The intended result is to be the front of a cabinet with five drawers in it
(XY plane) where each drawer is a different wavy curve in the  X  direction
and the drawers blend in together in the Y direction. Nominally, the rest of
the cabinet would be square/rectangular, but if this is too easy, perhaps
the sides would be curved as well.  Nominal dimensions would be a couple of
feet in all directions for the cabinet and the drawer fronts would be cut
from solid wood of a couple inches thick, so the curves are quite gentle.

Most of my work with objects has been CSG, so I'm looking to move forward.
As yet I haven't learned blobs or height fields, nor do I use any modeler
tool other than POVRay, so I'm looking for the place to spend some learning
time. If some other tool is the right choice to predefine the plane for
input to POVRay, then that's fine too.

I'm a happy POV'er and also a hobby woodworker, therefore I love the
woodgrain textures in POVRay. I find that modeling an object first reduces
the amount of do-overs in the shop considerably.

Thanks in advance
Stephen

Post a reply to this message