POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Don't understand "right" Server Time
30 Jul 2024 16:13:26 EDT (-0400)
  Don't understand "right" (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Don't understand "right"
Date: 13 Feb 2004 23:10:53
Message: <402d9fcd$1@news.povray.org>
I render an image with a man, his elbow just falling off screen.
right is 115*x.

I rerender with right 125*x  and the amount of elbow falling off screen does
not change.

???

Post a reply to this message

From: Greg M  Johnson
Subject: Re: Don't understand "right"
Date: 13 Feb 2004 23:17:20
Message: <402da150$1@news.povray.org>
Uh, I had an "angle" statement in there afterwards.  Am trying again without
it....

"Greg M. Johnson" <gregj;-)565### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
> I render an image with a man, his elbow just falling off screen.
> right is 115*x.
>
> I rerender with right 125*x  and the amount of elbow falling off screen
does
> not change.
>
> ???

Post a reply to this message

> Uh, I had an "angle" statement in there afterwards.  Am trying again
without
> it....
>
> "Greg M. Johnson" <gregj;-)565### [at] aolcom> wrote in message
> > I render an image with a man, his elbow just falling off screen.
> > right is 115*x.
> >
> > I rerender with right 125*x  and the amount of elbow falling off screen
> does
> > not change.
> >
> > ???

Right is used to specify the aspect ratio of the viewplane. In other words,
coupled with "up", it keeps those spheres from looking squashed or
stretched. If you always want an accurate picture no matter what your width
and height is, use:

up y
right image_width / image_height * x

Change your angle (like you said) to affect how much of the view the camera
is taking in. I personally like to use the DVD standard aspect ratio for my
stuff. I have found that angle 45 works good to keep the stuff on the left
and right of the frame from getting warped.

Post a reply to this message

Greg M. Johnson <gregj;-)565### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> I rerender with right 125*x  and the amount of elbow falling off screen does
> not change.

  It widens/narrows the image sidewise so that the amount of scenery
seen changes in the vertical direction.
  I think that if you want to change the horizontal viewing area you
should change 'up' instead.