POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Isosurfaces meet and cause Artifacts Server Time
30 Jul 2024 18:13:01 EDT (-0400)
  Isosurfaces meet and cause Artifacts (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: Felbrigg
Subject: Isosurfaces meet and cause Artifacts
Date: 29 Jan 2004 05:29:08
Message: <4018e074@news.povray.org>
Help!

I'm working on a scene that has two isosurfaces ( hills and water ) but
where they meet I'm getting a line of artifacts.  I've included a much
simplified version of the scene below in the hope that someone can throw
some light on the matter for me.  Note : one of the isosurfaces has a
"Clear" pigment, so you wont see it when it renders, but you will see the
line of artifacts.  This "clear" isosuface must remain clear as it will
eventually be water.

thanks.

#include "colors.inc"
#include "functions.inc"
global_settings {
                max_trace_level 80
                }
camera  {
        location <-45,5,118> look_at <-50,-1,138>
       }

background { color <0.25,0.35,0.80> }

#declare DesertScape =
        isosurface {
           function  {y - f_snoise3d(x/350, 0, z/490)*170.5}
           max_gradient 2
                contained_by {box {     <-40000,-180,-10000>,
                                        < 40000, 180, 10000>}}
        texture {pigment { Green }
                }
}

#declare WaterScape =
        isosurface {
           function { y - (f_ripples(x/2,y,z)*0.05) + (f_snoise3d(x/2, 0,
z/2)*0.1)}
           max_gradient 2
                contained_by {box {     <-400,-180,-500>,
                                        < 0, 180, 500>}}
        texture {
                pigment { Clear }
                }
        translate <0,-9,0>
        hollow
        scale <1,1,1>

}

object  { WaterScape scale <1.01,1,1.01> rotate <0,100,0>}
object  { DesertScape translate <-100,0,0> scale <1.01,1,1.01>}
light_source { <-10000, 60030, -28500> colour White }
//light_source {<-10000, 60030, -28500> color <1.01,1,1> area_light  <3600,
0, 0>, <0, 0, 3600>, 9, 9 adaptive 1 jitter photons { refraction on
reflection on } }

Post a reply to this message

> I'm working on a scene that has two isosurfaces ( hills and water ) but
> where they meet I'm getting a line of artifacts.  I've included a much
> simplified version of the scene below in the hope that someone can throw
> some light on the matter for me.  Note : one of the isosurfaces has a
> "Clear" pigment, so you wont see it when it renders, but you will see the
> line of artifacts.  This "clear" isosuface must remain clear as it will
> eventually be water.

Sounds like a typical max trace level problem. Try adding this to your scene
file and it should fix your problem -

global_settings
                     {
                       max_trace_level 10