POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Re: Water refraction Server Time
31 Jul 2024 00:34:30 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Water refraction (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: Hughes, B
Subject: Re: Water refraction
Date: 30 Jul 2003 00:48:18
Message: <3f274e12@news.povray.org>
"Matt Leonard" <mcl### [at] ksuedu> wrote in message

> Hey there.  I'm trying to figure out how to use photons to simulate the
> refraction of light in a pool.  This picture is what I have so far.  The
> refracted light on the bottom is too bright and dense.  There are some
> pictures in Christoph Hormann's water tutorial that look how I want mine
> look.  I can't figure this out, so any help would be appreciated.

Two possiblities immediately come to mind. One is the diffuse finish of the
pool floor and walls, other is the photon 'count'. If you lower those you
should see a diminished intensity. In the case of photon count, though,
you'll also see a defocusing effect; so that might not prove to be any good.
You could try fade_distance too. That goes into the interior statement, with
a float value for it which is less than the depth of the water in POV units.

> Also, I've noticed that the light on the bottom is showing up on the
> surface.  Is this due to reflection or just some weird refraction effect?

Refraction, apparently. Just very noticable due to the intensely bright
dappled light below.

Bob H.