POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Doing bicubic patches by hand? Server Time
31 Jul 2024 04:26:59 EDT (-0400)
  Doing bicubic patches by hand? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Will W
Subject: Doing bicubic patches by hand?
Date: 12 Feb 2003 17:07:12
Message: <3e4ac590@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm very new to POV-Ray and ray tracing in general. It's a kick. I've spent
much of the last four weeks working through tutorials, both those that came
with v3.5 and those I've found on the web. The resources available are
fantastic! I'm still overwhelmed by it all.

There are times when I would like to use a bicubic patch to smooth a join
between two primitives or attach a bit of detail to a primitive. The toots
I've come across so far advise using a separate mesh editor like Hamapatch
(which I'm growing fond of). But there are times when my gut tells me the
easiest approach would be to define the patch directly in POV, since I often
can define the specific points I need to work with, along the lines of

    #local leftFrontEngineCowling = <engineCP.x + 1.05*engineR,
engineFront.y, 0>;

I'm finding that trying to go back and forth between this kind of
construction and Hamapatch to be frustrating at times.

So can anyone point me to some guidelines (beyond the basic v3.5 tutorial)
for working efficiently with bicubic patches directly in POV? Is anyone
using this kind of approach?

TIA,
--
Will Woodhull
Thornhenge, SW Oregon, USA

Post a reply to this message

Will W <wil### [at] nospamwizzardsnet> wrote:
> So can anyone point me to some guidelines (beyond the basic v3.5 tutorial)
> for working efficiently with bicubic patches directly in POV?

  I think that the tutorial in POV-Ray's documentation (section 3.4.5) is
pretty good.
  What are you missing which is not covered by that?