POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : earth model successful !! Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:14:01 EDT (-0400)
  earth model successful !! (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: ZSpider
Subject: earth model successful !!
Date: 28 Dec 2002 09:17:36
Message: <3e0db280$1@news.povray.org>
Hi everybody!

I've kinda been wanting a spinning Earth, so I surfed a few of the
POV resources and found Micha Riser's Earth Include file.  I had
to surf here to get an image and bump map:

http://www.jht.cjb.net/

I got them as JPGs, so I converted them to TGA and PNG (the for-
mats used by the include file) using an old version of Corel Photo-
Paint and renamed them to match the program, took out the comment
lines at the end so it would render, AND IT WORKED!!  Hahaha!
You say, "Well, of course it worked, since you didn't do hardly
anything yourself!"  But the truth is that for a newbie like me there's
almost always some little extra step that is obvious to everybody
but me.

Anyway,  thanks to Micha!  I'm going to try and animate it now and
get it spinning around.  Will I run into any troubles there?  I know
how to do crude animations, but I think that there's a way to mess
up an animation with an image map so that it doesn't move.

Thanks, miker

Post a reply to this message

> Anyway,  thanks to Micha!  I'm going to try and animate it now and
> get it spinning around.  Will I run into any troubles there?  I know
> how to do crude animations, but I think that there's a way to mess
> up an animation with an image map so that it doesn't move.

It should be fairly easy. A psuedo example -

#declare World = sphere { all the stuff you just learned }

// Make it spin
object { World rotate 360*y*clock }

--
Ken Tyler