POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : normal_vectors Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:14:26 EDT (-0400)
  normal_vectors (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Martijn van den Branden
Subject: normal_vectors
Date: 29 Dec 2002 05:56:05
Message: <3e0ed4c5$1@news.povray.org>
Hi there,

i'm a complete newbie to povray, hence this
question: i don't understand the 'smooth' mesh2
example in the pov-doc (included below).
It says in order to create a 'smooth' mesh,
you have to include vertex normals. i can only
think of 1 normal, that is the one perpendicular
to the whole plane (made up by the triangles).
What do these vertex normals do? when
i render the scene below with some light_source
, i get a plane 'warped' on the top side, which
i think is my videocard (tnt-1) going bezerk.

thanks in advance,

Martijn

mesh2 {
   vertex_vectors {
      9,
      <0,0,0>, <0.5,0,0>, <0.5,0.5,0>,
      <1,0,0>, <1,0.5,0>, <1,1,0>,
      <0.5,1,0>, <0,1,0>, <0,0.5,0>
   }
   normal_vectors {
      9,
     <-1,-1,0>,<0,-1,0>, <0,0,1>,
      /*as 1*/ <1,-1,0>, /*as 2*/
      /*as 3*/ <1,0,0>,  /*as 2*/
      /*as 4*/ <1,1,0>,  /*as 2*/
      /*as 5*/ <0,1,0>,  /*as 2*/
      /*as 6*/ <-1,1,0>, /*as 2*/
      /*as 7*/ <-1,0,0>, /*as 2*/
      /*as 8*/ /*as 0*/  /*as 2*/
   }
   face_indices {
      8,
      <0,1,2>, <1,3,2>,
      <3,4,2>, <4,5,2>,
      <5,6,2>, <6,7,2>,
      <7,8,2>, <8,0,2>
   }
   pigment {rgb 1}
}

Post a reply to this message

> i'm a complete newbie to povray, hence this
> question: i don't understand the 'smooth' mesh2
> example in the pov-doc (included below).
> It says in order to create a 'smooth' mesh,
> you have to include vertex normals. i can only
> think of 1 normal, that is the one perpendicular
> to the whole plane (made up by the triangles).
> What do these vertex normals do? when
> i render the scene below with some light_source
> , i get a plane 'warped' on the top side, which

Well, as the name says, each vertex (corner) of a triangles gets its own
normal that are then interpolated over the whole triangle surface.  This
gives the impression of a smooth surface as for example the reflection
behaves as if the surface was smooth.

> i think is my videocard (tnt-1) going bezerk.

I think you misunderstand how ray-tracing works.  Also not relevant to this
question, you may want to read
<http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/328/>.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich