POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Tranparent GIF Server Time
31 Jul 2024 06:15:03 EDT (-0400)
  Tranparent GIF (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: -=-=-=-=-
Subject: Tranparent GIF
Date: 14 Jan 2003 18:31:22
Message: <3e249dca$1@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to insert a Fish (Image) on a plane so I can add it to my scene.
The .GIF has a color (87) that is assigned "Transparent"... the problem is
that POVRay renders the GIF witht he color - NOT transparent.

To fix this I created a B/W copy of the image.  Then created a texture map
so the texture assumed that the color white was clear, and the color black
had the image.

Now when I render the scene I have a line in the center where the plane
intersects the other objects....  any help?

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to insert a Fish (Image) on a plane so I can add it to my scene.
> The .GIF has a color (87) that is assigned "Transparent"... the problem is
> that POVRay renders the GIF witht he color - NOT transparent.

Did you try assigning a transmit or filter value in the image map declaration?

The basic syntax for filtering a specific color index is -

image_map { gif "Fish.gif" filter   87,1 }
image_map { gif "Fish.gif" transmit 87,1 }

See the POV-Ray docs - section 6.7.1.5.2  The Filter and Transmit Bitmap Modifiers

> To fix this I created a B/W copy of the image.  Then created a texture map
> so the texture assumed that the color white was clear, and the color black
> had the image.
>
> Now when I render the scene I have a line in the center where the plane
> intersects the other objects....  any help?

I am not sure what you are trying to do here but without a short example of
your code it would be hard to guess what you are seeing.

--
Ken Tyler