POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.newusers : Positioning an object in 3 space. : Re: Positioning an object in 3 space. Server Time
24 Apr 2024 06:56:09 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Positioning an object in 3 space.
From: Mike Williams
Date: 21 Jan 2005 16:03:00
Message: <0B3+vIAR3W8BFwZQ@econym.demon.co.uk>
Wasn't it Carl who wrote:
>I have an object with a defined up (say the y-direction) and a defined
>forward (say the x-direction).  I'd like to place this object at a new
>location with a new orientation specified by given new up and forward
>vectors.  Both vectors are unit vectors and they at perpendicular to each
>other.  The translate part is easy but the rotations I need to apply to my
>object are giving me trouble.  I'm sure I'm making things more complicated
>then necessary.  Can someone help?

I always found this a bit tricky. Applying Reorient_Trans() twice
sometimes seemed to cause the thing to get tilted the wrong way. Then
Michael Andrews developed his Three_Point_Trans() that does the whole
thing - translation and rotations.

#macro Three_Point_Trans(T1a, T1b, T1c, T2a, T2b, T2c)
   transform {
     #local Y = vnormalize(T1b - T1a);
     #local X = vnormalize(T1c - T1a);
     #local Z = vnormalize(vcross(X, Y));
     #local X = vcross(Z, Y);
     #local T = Shear_Trans(X, Y, Z)
     translate -T1a
     transform { T inverse }
     #local Y = vnormalize(T2b - T2a);
     #local X = vnormalize(T2c - T2a);
     #local Z = vnormalize(vcross(X, Y));
     #local X = vcross(Z, Y);
     Shear_Trans(X, Y, Z)
     translate T2a
   }
#end
/*
The three points a,b,c define a triangle; a is the origin, b-a is the
primary orientation and abc gives a secondary orientation plane. The two
orientation axes b-a and c-a do not have to be orthogonal, just
independant so vcross(b-a,c-a) doesn't return a zero length vector.

So Three_Point_Trans(0,y,x, P0,P1,P2) gives a transform from the origin
to P0, aligns y with P1-P0 and puts the (x,y) plane in the plane of the
(P0,P1,P2) triangle.

*/
--
Mike Williams