POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.news-submissions : UberPOV v1.37.0.0-beta.6 released Server Time
28 Mar 2024 12:54:47 EDT (-0400)
  UberPOV v1.37.0.0-beta.6 released (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: clipka
Subject: UberPOV v1.37.0.0-beta.6 released
Date: 24 Jul 2014 00:01:09
Message: <53d08505@news.povray.org>
Now with those fancy finish features recently shown off in
povray.binary.images.

Also does stochastic global illumination now.

Get the Windows binaries or cross-platform source code here:

https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV/releases/tag/v1.37.0.0-beta.6

Post a reply to this message

> Also does stochastic global illumination now.

are there any other parameters (besides count and brightness) that work
in this mode? changes.txt says most don't ... just curious

Post a reply to this message

> Also does stochastic global illumination now.

are there any parameters (besides count and brightness) that work in

Am 26.07.2014 14:44, schrieb James Holsenback:
> On 07/24/2014 12:01 AM, clipka wrote:
>> Also does stochastic global illumination now.
>
> are there any other parameters (besides count and brightness) that work
> in this mode? changes.txt says most don't ... just curious

Just browsed the list of all the settings; The following should still
have an effect:

     brightness FLOAT
     count FLOAT
     gray_threshold FLOAT
     recursion_limit INT
     adc_bailout FLOAT
     normal BOOL
     media BOOL
     subsurface BOOL
     brilliance BOOL

All others are just concerned with sample caching.

Post a reply to this message

> Now with those fancy finish features recently shown off in
> povray.binary.images.
>
> Also does stochastic global illumination now.
>

> Get the Windows binaries or cross-platform source code here:
>
> https://github.com/UberPOV/UberPOV/releases/tag/v1.37.0.0-beta.6

It seems that nothing appear when a scene like this is rendered. The
image is black if version is 3.7; rather unofficial patch 3.7;

version 3.7;
//#version unofficial patch 3.7;

camera {
	location <15, 15, -15>
	look_at <0, 0, 0>
	angle 90
}

//background {color 0.5}

plane {
	y,-1
	pigment {color 0.25}
}

box {
	<-1.00, 0.00, -1.00>,< 1.00, 2.00, 1.00>
	texture {
		pigment{ color rgb<1.00, 1.00, 1.00>}
		finish { phong 1 reflection{ 0.00 metallic 0.00} }
	}
}

light_source { <20, 20, -20> color rgb 1 }

--
Do not judge my words, judge my actions.

---

> It seems that nothing appear when a scene like this is rendered. The
> image is black if version is 3.7; rather unofficial patch 3.7;
>
> version 3.7;
> //#version unofficial patch 3.7;

Oops, I have missed the # before the version directive, it is why all is
black (even with pov3.7). I have an parse message which says there is no
objects in scene.

Lionel

---

> Am 26.07.2014 14:44, schrieb James Holsenback:
>> On 07/24/2014 12:01 AM, clipka wrote:
>>> Also does stochastic global illumination now.
>>
>> are there any other parameters (besides count and brightness) that work
>> in this mode? changes.txt says most don't ... just curious
>
> Just browsed the list of all the settings; The following should still
> have an effect:
>
>      brightness FLOAT
>      count FLOAT
>      gray_threshold FLOAT
>      recursion_limit INT
>      adc_bailout FLOAT
>      normal BOOL
>      media BOOL
>      subsurface BOOL
>      brilliance BOOL
>
> All others are just concerned with sample caching.

what would be the best parameter to use if I'm seeing artifact in
corners (shadow of an object hits floor and wall and it's darker where
the wall and floor meet) ... I want to say count, but I also have an
emission object, so I'm wondering if adc_bailout might also come into play

Post a reply to this message

Am 03.08.2014 20:59, schrieb James Holsenback:
> On 07/26/2014 01:57 PM, clipka wrote:
>>>
>>> are there any other parameters (besides count and brightness) that work
>>> in this mode? changes.txt says most don't ... just curious
>>
>> Just browsed the list of all the settings; The following should still
>> have an effect:
>>
>>      brightness FLOAT
>>      count FLOAT
>>      gray_threshold FLOAT
>>      recursion_limit INT
>>      adc_bailout FLOAT
>>      normal BOOL
>>      media BOOL
>>      subsurface BOOL
>>      brilliance BOOL
>>
>> All others are just concerned with sample caching.
>>

> what would be the best parameter to use if I'm seeing artifact in
> corners (shadow of an object hits floor and wall and it's darker where
> the wall and floor meet) ... I want to say count, but I also have an
> emission object, so I'm wondering if adc_bailout might also come into play

No, with no_cache the count parameter is less about quality and more
about render speed.

But I'd have to see the artifacts to think of a reason why they'd be
there and how they could be avoided.

Post a reply to this message

> Now with those fancy finish features recently shown off in
> povray.binary.images.
>
> Also does stochastic global illumination now.

I found under some conditions you get a visible pattern to the noise
when doing a low quality "preview" render with no_cache. It's almost as
if the random number generator is seeded off the pixel coordinate or
something? Is this possible or am I seeing patterns where none exist?

Post a reply to this message

>> Now with those fancy finish features recently shown off in
>> povray.binary.images.
>>
>> Also does stochastic global illumination now.
>
> I found under some conditions you get a visible pattern to the noise
> when doing a low quality "preview" render with no_cache. It's almost as
> if the random number generator is seeded off the pixel coordinate or
> something? Is this possible or am I seeing patterns where none exist?

A simple way to check that: Launch a 2 or 3 frames animation with no
changes between the frames.
If there is a repeatable pattern, the images will show the same pattern.
If the pattern is just random noise, it will change from frame to frame.

Alain