POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.msdos : Cann't get BMP file output? Server Time
19 Mar 2024 01:37:44 EDT (-0400)
  Cann't get BMP file output? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Jerry Jeng
Subject: Cann't get BMP file output?
Date: 14 Nov 1999 19:32:23
Message: <382F53BD.90BF161E@ttu.edu.tw>
I can get TGA output using +FC or FT, PPM using +FP, PNG using +FN.  But
when I use +FS, I still get a TGA output file. Does anyone know this
problem?                     JJ

Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Cann't get BMP file output?
Date: 14 Nov 1999 22:39:05
Message: <382f8059@news.povray.org>
In article <382F53BD.90BF161E@ttu.edu.tw> , Jerry Jeng <jen### [at] ttuedutw>
wrote:

> I can get TGA output using +FC or FT, PPM using +FP, PNG using +FN.  But
> when I use +FS, I still get a TGA output file. Does anyone know this
> problem?

The +FS switch is for _system specific_ image formats (as explained in the
documentation). If there is no system specific image format supported, the
default Targa output is used.

   Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich, Duisburg, Germany
e-mail: tho### [at] trfde

> > I can get TGA output using +FC or FT, PPM using +FP, PNG using +FN.  But
> > when I use +FS, I still get a TGA output file. Does anyone know this
> > problem?
>
> The +FS switch is for _system specific_ image formats (as explained in the
> documentation). If there is no system specific image format supported, the
> default Targa output is used.
>
>    Thorsten

Just to add to what Thorsten has said:

The .tga format has always been pretty much the defacto standard for the
MSDos version while .bmp is a Windows specific format.

You can use any standard dos image convesion program to convert the tga
to bmp without any loss of image quality afterward.

>> > I can get TGA output using +FC or FT, PPM using +FP, PNG using +FN.
But
>> > when I use +FS, I still get a TGA output file. Does anyone know this
>> > problem?
>>
>> The +FS switch is for _system specific_ image formats (as explained in
the
>> documentation). If there is no system specific image format supported,
the
>> default Targa output is used.
>>
>>    Thorsten
>
>Just to add to what Thorsten has said:
>
>The .tga format has always been pretty much the defacto standard for the
>MSDos version while .bmp is a Windows specific format.
>
>You can use any standard dos image convesion program to convert the tga
>to bmp without any loss of image quality afterward.
>
>--
>Ken Tyler -  1200+ Povray, Graphics, 3D Rendering, and Raytracing Links:
>http://home.pacbell.net/tylereng/index.html http://www.povray.org/links/

Thanks for the answer.                 JJ