POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : How to Mac-heads compile images into animations? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 19:22:52 EDT (-0400)
  How to Mac-heads compile images into animations? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: gregjohn
Subject: How to Mac-heads compile images into animations?
Date: 24 Mar 2012 21:10:00
Message: <web.4f6e7030f069ec09be23d2870@news.povray.org>
I looked at TMPGenc, and wasn't sure if it were still free.

Post a reply to this message

From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 25 Mar 2012 22:44:10
Message: <4f6fd7fa@news.povray.org>
On 3/24/2012 6:09 PM, gregjohn wrote:
> I looked at TMPGenc, and wasn't sure if it were still free.

Well, it is, I think. The problem is it is no longer being properly bug
fixed, since they have the full on editing suite now. This wouldn't be a
huge deal, except that they admit that one *huge* bug in the free one is
that the encoder doesn't actually work correctly, and a) you *will* get
sound desyncs, and b) it doesn't support the sort of resolutions that
you might actually want to be using it with (for example, trying to
produce HD video, or even DVD quality.

I discovered both while trying to convert a real video to a different
format, wondered why the result both looked like crap, and the sound
would half a second or more out of sync with the video, and then read,
in the process of trying to figure it out, that it simply couldn't
manage what I was asking it to do.

For "testing" I think it still OK, but.. if you want to do production...
obviously it just doesn't cut it anymore, and due to the known encoder
bug, never really did.

Post a reply to this message

Patrick Elliott <sel### [at] npgcablecom> wrote:

> For "testing" I think it still OK, but.. if you want to do production...
> obviously it just doesn't cut it anymore, and due to the known encoder
> bug, never really did.

Okay, the stupid question here is: all I want to do is turn a stack of bitmaps
into some kind of widely-usable video. Do the bugs you describe impair this
function?   What is this process called?-- I remember 10-15 years ago trying to
BUY an off-the-shelf software to do this, and couldn't find one.

Post a reply to this message