POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Best path for povving on the mac? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:38:24 EDT (-0400)
  Best path for povving on the mac? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: gregjohn
Subject: Best path for povving on the mac?
Date: 16 Mar 2012 13:15:01
Message: <web.4f63750f1380c45c47b8a80e0@news.povray.org>
I've got a MacBook Pro.  I'm wondering if the best way to use povray is to
either use MegaPov or to install a linux VM-- any tips on the latter?

Post a reply to this message

From: Warp
Subject: Re: Best path for povving on the mac?
Date: 16 Mar 2012 13:30:36
Message: <4f6378ba@news.povray.org>
gregjohn <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> I've got a MacBook Pro.  I'm wondering if the best way to use povray is to
> either use MegaPov or to install a linux VM-- any tips on the latter?

  There's a mac version of POV-Ray, you know...

  Anyways, if you want to use the generic unix version, there's no need
for any "linux VM" (I don't even know what that is, but I take your word
for it). Mac OS X is a unix and thus has all the necessary unix tools that
should be necessary to compile POV-Ray (although you may need to install
the command-line tools of Xcode, which include gcc 4.2 and the newest
clang, among all the other necessary tools).

  If neither solution is feasible, then you could of course install Linux
as a secondary OS. (I actually don't know if Mac OS's multiboot supports
linux out-of-the-box, but I assume it does.)

--
                                                          - Warp

Post a reply to this message

"gregjohn" <pte### [at] yahoocom> wrote:
> I've got a MacBook Pro.  I'm wondering if the best way to use povray is to
> either use MegaPov or to install a linux VM-- any tips on the latter?

I've always used Megapov. If you go with this, see also Yvo's extremely helpful
3.7 builds that utilise the Megapov GUI (posted in povray.beta-test).

Bill

Post a reply to this message

> > I've got a MacBook Pro.  I'm wondering if the best way to use povray is to
> > either use MegaPov or to install a linux VM-- any tips on the latter?
>
>   There's a mac version of POV-Ray, you know...

The official version doesn't install-- gives some kind of PPC error

But Yvo was nice enough to provide an RC4 unofficial that worked for me.