POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : building povray on the mac Server Time
28 Mar 2024 22:20:48 EDT (-0400)
  building povray on the mac (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: eeeeaaii
Subject: building povray on the mac
Date: 1 Mar 2012 15:05:01
Message: <web.4f4fd5d945b16335fda0e8490@news.povray.org>
I just wanted to drop a quick note to users who might want to use povray 3.6.1
on Intel Macs, etc.

Yes, it is possible to modify config files and compile directly from the unix
sources, as posted here, but I've found a better way is to use Homebrew:

http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/

Homebrew is a package manager for OSX.  Basically you just install homebrew by
pasting this into a command prompt:

/usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/gist/323731)"

And then at the prompt type

brew install povray

That's it!  No messing about with config files or doing anything funky.

I'm happy to have found this because I was having some serious problems with
Apple's new LLVM version of GCC -- it wasn't compiling povray correctly and the
program was behaving bizarrely.  Homebrew fixed the problem.

Post a reply to this message

> I just wanted to drop a quick note to users who might want to use povray 3.6.1
> on Intel Macs, etc.
>
> Yes, it is possible to modify config files and compile directly from the unix
> sources, as posted here, but I've found a better way is to use Homebrew:
>
> http://mxcl.github.com/homebrew/
>
> Homebrew is a package manager for OSX.  Basically you just install homebrew by
> pasting this into a command prompt:
>
> /usr/bin/ruby -e "$(curl -fsSL https://raw.github.com/gist/323731)"
>
> And then at the prompt type
>
> brew install povray
>
> That's it!  No messing about with config files or doing anything funky.
>
> I'm happy to have found this because I was having some serious problems with
> Apple's new LLVM version of GCC -- it wasn't compiling povray correctly and the
> program was behaving bizarrely.  Homebrew fixed the problem.

Looks like I spoke too soon.  Still having problems with the Homebrew version.
I believe the only way around this is to build it with a different version of
GCC.  I have gcc 4.6 now, I'll try that.