POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Problems with external volumes Server Time
28 Mar 2024 06:15:01 EDT (-0400)
  Problems with external volumes (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Rune
Subject: Problems with external volumes
Date: 27 Jul 2009 16:00:01
Message: <web.4a6e067781b7e743fd4658040@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm finally able to use POV-Ray again. (After I switched from Windows to Mac
about a year ago I haven't been able to run POV-Ray because it crashed on
startup, but I recently found out that MegaPOV for Mac works just fine - thanks
MegaPOV team!)

Anyway, I'm having problems because my scene and include files are located on an
external hard drive with multiple partitions. All scene and include files are
located on a partition called "Data" but when storing references to the include
file folder the hard drive shows up as "Volumes/Untitled 1" instead of "Data".
The problem is that it shows up inconsistently as "Untitled", "Untitled 1", or
"Untitled 2" depending on which order OS X happens to mount the drives in on
that particular day. This basically seems to mean that I have to reconfigure
the include file path every day (and all the other configured paths), which is a
pain.

I know this is more of a general Mac OS X problem than a POV-Ray problem, but I
have searched the net for an answer and couldn't find anything. What can be
done about this?

Thanks,

Rune

Post a reply to this message

> Anyway, I'm having problems because my scene and include files are located on an
> external hard drive with multiple partitions. All scene and include files are
> located on a partition called "Data" but when storing references to the include
> file folder the hard drive shows up as "Volumes/Untitled 1" instead of "Data".
> The problem is that it shows up inconsistently as "Untitled", "Untitled 1", or
> "Untitled 2" depending on which order OS X happens to mount the drives in on
> that particular day. This basically seems to mean that I have to reconfigure
> the include file path every day (and all the other configured paths), which is a
> pain.
>
> I know this is more of a general Mac OS X problem than a POV-Ray problem, but I
> have searched the net for an answer and couldn't find anything. What can be
> done about this?

What type of format does the drive use? This happens only if it has no
proper name under Mac OS X because it is formatted as something else (like
FAT32). If it is formatted as Mac only, it should work just fine. I have two
external drives formatted for Mac and both mount correctly, but I have seen
strange issues with a few USB sticks formatted as FAT32...

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> What type of format does the drive use? This happens only if it has no
> proper name under Mac OS X because it is formatted as something else (like
> FAT32).

Indeed these are formattet as NTFS (Get Info says "NTFS-3g (MacFUSE)"
specifically). I need this as I am using the drives for both Mac and Windows. I
guess I am just out of luck?

Rune

Post a reply to this message