POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Problems with external volumes Server Time: 25 Jun 2019 19:37:03 GMT
  Problems with external volumes (Message 1 to 5 of 5)  
From: Rune
Subject: Problems with external volumes
Date: 27 Jul 2009 20:00:01
Message: <web.4a6e067781b7e743fd4658040@news.povray.org>
Hi,

I'm finally able to use POV-Ray again. (After I switched from Windows to Mac
about a year ago I haven't been able to run POV-Ray because it crashed on
startup, but I recently found out that MegaPOV for Mac works just fine - thanks
MegaPOV team!)

Anyway, I'm having problems because my scene and include files are located on an
external hard drive with multiple partitions. All scene and include files are
located on a partition called "Data" but when storing references to the include
file folder the hard drive shows up as "Volumes/Untitled 1" instead of "Data".
The problem is that it shows up inconsistently as "Untitled", "Untitled 1", or
"Untitled 2" depending on which order OS X happens to mount the drives in on
that particular day. This basically seems to mean that I have to reconfigure
the include file path every day (and all the other configured paths), which is a
pain.

I know this is more of a general Mac OS X problem than a POV-Ray problem, but I
have searched the net for an answer and couldn't find anything. What can be
done about this?

Thanks,

Rune


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Problems with external volumes
Date: 28 Jul 2009 04:57:37
Message: <4a6e8541$1@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote:
> Anyway, I'm having problems because my scene and include files are located on an
> external hard drive with multiple partitions. All scene and include files are
> located on a partition called "Data" but when storing references to the include
> file folder the hard drive shows up as "Volumes/Untitled 1" instead of "Data".
> The problem is that it shows up inconsistently as "Untitled", "Untitled 1", or
> "Untitled 2" depending on which order OS X happens to mount the drives in on
> that particular day. This basically seems to mean that I have to reconfigure
> the include file path every day (and all the other configured paths), which is a
> pain.
> 
> I know this is more of a general Mac OS X problem than a POV-Ray problem, but I
> have searched the net for an answer and couldn't find anything. What can be
> done about this?

What type of format does the drive use? This happens only if it has no 
proper name under Mac OS X because it is formatted as something else (like 
FAT32). If it is formatted as Mac only, it should work just fine. I have two 
external drives formatted for Mac and both mount correctly, but I have seen 
strange issues with a few USB sticks formatted as FAT32...

	Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

From: Rune
Subject: Re: Problems with external volumes
Date: 28 Jul 2009 21:25:00
Message: <web.4a6f6bff950f2ed4fd4658040@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> What type of format does the drive use? This happens only if it has no
> proper name under Mac OS X because it is formatted as something else (like
> FAT32).

Indeed these are formattet as NTFS (Get Info says "NTFS-3g (MacFUSE)"
specifically). I need this as I am using the drives for both Mac and Windows. I
guess I am just out of luck?

Rune


Post a reply to this message

From: Thorsten Froehlich
Subject: Re: Problems with external volumes
Date: 31 Jul 2009 08:42:13
Message: <4a72ae65$1@news.povray.org>
Rune wrote:
> Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
>> What type of format does the drive use? This happens only if it has no
>> proper name under Mac OS X because it is formatted as something else (like
>> FAT32).
> 
> Indeed these are formattet as NTFS (Get Info says "NTFS-3g (MacFUSE)"
> specifically). I need this as I am using the drives for both Mac and Windows. I
> guess I am just out of luck?

No, not really...

it depends on how much convenience you need, or basically how often you 
mount/unmount the disk. Given Mac OS X mounting is Unix-style, you can 
control it much better than on Windows. Essentially, you should be able to 
use either symlinks or renaming of the volume to get it fixed every time it 
is mounted. This task can then be automated if you know enough about Unix 
(sorry, I don't know more than that it can be done this way).

	Thorsten


Post a reply to this message

From: Rune
Subject: Re: Problems with external volumes
Date: 2 Aug 2009 08:45:00
Message: <web.4a755176950f2ed4fd4658040@news.povray.org>
Thorsten Froehlich <tho### [at] trfde> wrote:
> Rune wrote:
> > guess I am just out of luck?
>
> No, not really...
>
> it depends on how much convenience you need, or basically how often you
> mount/unmount the disk. Given Mac OS X mounting is Unix-style, you can
> control it much better than on Windows. Essentially, you should be able to
> use either symlinks or renaming of the volume to get it fixed every time it
> is mounted. This task can then be automated if you know enough about Unix
> (sorry, I don't know more than that it can be done this way).

Thanks. I know practically nothing about Unix, but it's good to know it can be
done. Maybe I'll be able to find someone to help me at some point.

Rune


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.