POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : I want a working POV-Ray for Intel Macs Server Time
18 Apr 2024 13:35:50 EDT (-0400)
  I want a working POV-Ray for Intel Macs (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Marriott
Subject: Re: I want a working POV-Ray for Intel Macs
Date: 3 Dec 2009 21:40:00
Message: <web.4b1876519a1161257878bbcb0@news.povray.org>
> KEBman wrote:
> > Yes, that's what I want. I think it's lame to blame it on malfunctioning PowerPC
> > emulator when you should have made the binary work on both PowerPC and Intel
> > Macs in the first place.
>
> You do realize that Apple shifted from one day to the other from PowerPC to
> x86 with no advance warning except for their largest software vendors, Adobe
> and Microsoft?

Apple announced that they would be switching to Intel in June 2005, and the
first Intel Macs were sold in January 2006.  In a few weeks it will be 2010!
With or without the advance warning, there has been plenty of time for a
universal binary of POV-Ray.

> To ask a software released before that move to support
> something that was not known at the time is a joke, and a bad one!

We are not asking for an Intel version to have been released in 2005.

I do not intend to be critical of the POV-Ray team, here-- as others have
mentioned, this is free software, there are workarounds to this, and so on.  But
the above response is invalid.  As KEBman said, blaming an obscure PowerPC
emulation bug is lame.  Likewise, blaming a years-old architecture switch is
lame.  Here are some non-lame responses:

1. This will be fixed in our next major release.
2. Use MegaPOV or the command-line version instead.  We not longer issue a
working Mac POV-Ray frontend program.

Post a reply to this message

> Yes, that's what I want. I think it's lame to blame it on malfunctioning PowerPC
> emulator when you should have made the binary work on both PowerPC and Intel
etc .... <snip>

I filed a bug report with Apple and they actually sent me the needed fixes in
PovRay code ... its a PovRay issue -- who can get the source code fixed???

Post a reply to this message