POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : New to Mac Version, please help :) Server Time
19 Apr 2024 17:55:47 EDT (-0400)
  New to Mac Version, please help :) (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Horsewood
Subject: New to Mac Version, please help :)
Date: 21 Dec 2005 11:05:02
Message: <web.43a97c1a3c350f8c92b17c610@news.povray.org>
I used to think I was quite good when I first used this many years ago
(10ish) but I've now come back to it, and have changed platform to the Mac,
I cant work out how to use the .ini files anymore, I was looking to change
the resolution (I understand the Mac versions dont have the command line
option available) and I need to make the changes in the .ini files I
include, I realise there are standard render settings in the INI folder and
I think it is pointing at that, but there are no optiions in the
preferences menu for different render resolutions, if this is where they
are supposed to be changed.

Stuffed, and really confused

Can anyone help :)?

Post a reply to this message

Horsewood <jes### [at] tiscalicouk> wrote:

Why would you use ini files? Unless you have something special you want
to do, set your settings in the settings panel.
- Make sure your scene file is the top window
-  Go to edit >> xxx.pov settings (xxx.pov is the name of the scene file
you have open)
Now you can setup everything.
The resolution can be set in the output tab.
This is for the official POV-Ray version, if you use MegaPOV, the
preferences panel is always visible.

Hope this will get you started.

Yvo

--
-----------------------------------
MegaPOV at:  http://megapov.inetart.net

Post a reply to this message

yvo### [at] gmxnet (Yvo Smellenbergh) wrote:

>Horsewood <jes### [at] tiscalicouk> wrote:
>
>Why would you use ini files?

A very simple reason: Making some preview renderings in the GUI
application. And then do the real work as a batch job with the command
line application.
When using the menu/dialog driven configs in the GUI app and the ini
file for the command line program, you always have to try to keep them
identical. If you use only the ini files for both the GUI app and the
command line program, you never have this problem.

>Unless you have something special you want
>to do, set your settings in the settings panel.
>- Make sure your scene file is the top window
>-  Go to edit >> xxx.pov settings (xxx.pov is the name of the scene file
>you have open)
>Now you can setup everything.
>The resolution can be set in the output tab.
>This is for the official POV-Ray version, if you use MegaPOV, the
>preferences panel is always visible.
>
>Hope this will get you started.

I know the settings dialog. But why did they take the ini file support
out of the GUI app? Yes, in older versions the ini files were considered
and even written by the GUI app.
Progress in not always an enhancement.

Best regards,

Post a reply to this message

> I know the settings dialog. But why did they take the ini file support
> out of the GUI app? Yes, in older versions the ini files were considered
> and even written by the GUI app.

It has not been taken out at all! To the contrary, you have access to "the
command-line" directly via the Render Settings dialog. As such, all commands
to read and write INI files are at our disposal.

 > A very simple reason: Making some preview renderings in the GUI
 > application. And then do the real work as a batch job with the command
 > line application.
 > When using the menu/dialog driven configs in the GUI app and the ini
 > file for the command line program, you always have to try to keep them
 > identical. If you use only the ini files for both the GUI app and the
 > command line program, you never have this problem.

You can simply request that the INI file be written in the GUI, and use that
to render on the command-line.

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

> > A very simple reason: Making some preview renderings in the GUI
> > application. And then do the real work as a batch job with the command
> > line application.
> > When using the menu/dialog driven configs in the GUI app and the ini
> > file for the command line program, you always have to try to keep them
> > identical. If you use only the ini files for both the GUI app and the
> > command line program, you never have this problem.
>
>You can simply request that the INI file be written in the GUI, and use that
>to render on the command-line.

I searched in the preferences dialogs of 3.6.1 very thoroughly and
didn't find anything related to INI files.
Would you please tell me, where to find the checkbox that tells the Mac
version that it should write INI files? I must have it overlooked.

Best regards,

Post a reply to this message

Please carefully read what I wrote:

It has not been taken out at all! To the contrary, you have access to "the
command-line" directly via the Render Settings dialog. As such, all commands
to read and write INI files are at our disposal.
<<<

	Thorsten

Post a reply to this message

>> I searched in the preferences dialogs of 3.6.1 very thoroughly and
>> didn't find anything related to INI files.
>> Would you please tell me, where to find the checkbox that tells the Mac
>> version that it should write INI files? I must have it overlooked.
>
>Please carefully read what I wrote:
>

>It has not been taken out at all! To the contrary, you have access to "the
>command-line" directly via the Render Settings dialog. As such, all commands
>to read and write INI files are at our disposal.
><<<

I'm not sure. Do you really mean "command line"?
Come on, when I have to enter command line arguments in a GUI
application, I don't need this GUI application. Then it is simpler to
save the disk space and use the command line application.

By the way: In earlier versions of the Mac version, there _was_ direct
INI file support in the settings dialog. This direct support _has_ been
taken out.

Regards,

Post a reply to this message