POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Configuring POVray for use with Eagle 3D Server Time
28 Mar 2024 11:17:09 EDT (-0400)
  Configuring POVray for use with Eagle 3D (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Tiger
Subject: Configuring POVray for use with Eagle 3D
Date: 7 Sep 2007 09:21:24
Message: <46e15054@news.povray.org>
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to POVray and need some help
configuring and using it.
I'm on a Powerbook G4 (1.67GHz) running MacOS 10.4.10.
I've installed POVray 3.6.

I barely know what POVray is (excuse my ignorance), but have an interest
in it because of "Eagle 3D" which is a script that produces a .POV file
out of an electronic circuit board design.
The POV file is then (as far as I know) run through POVray to create a
3-dimensional drawing of the actual circuit board.
Check out this website for more info about Eagle 3D as well as pictures:
http://www.matwei.de/doku.php?id=en:eagle3d:eagle3d

What I've done so far is download the installation files from the above
site, the direct file-link being:
http://www.matwei.de/lib/exe/fetch.php?id=en%3Aeagle3d%3Aeagle3d&cache=cache&media=files:eagle3d:eagle3d_1_05_27112006.zip

And then I placed the ULP (script file) where my electronic design
application; Eagle (http://www.cadsoft.de/) can find it.

However, when it comes to POVray and how to treat the Eagle-generated
.POV file I'm totally lost.
I've so far double-clicked the POV file which loaded it into POVray, and
following that I assumed that I should just go to the "Render" menu and
choose to render this file. Well, I seemed to have gotten several error
messages.
Upon contacting the author of Eagle 3D I was told that I need to tell
POVray the location of a specific folder which came with Eagle 3D.
However, I don't see any way of configuring this in POVray.

A folder named "POVray" comes with Eagle 3D which contains the following
files:

total 1712
-rwx------   1   21456 Nov 27  2006 alphalcd.ttf
-rw-r--r--   1   39231 Nov 27  2006 cap.inc
-rw-r--r--   1   13141 Nov 27  2006 capwima.inc
-rw-r--r--   1      78 Nov 27  2006 col.inc
-rw-r--r--   1  210961 Nov 27  2006 connector.inc
-rw-r--r--   1   65218 Nov 27  2006 diode.inc
-rwx------   1   54344 Nov 27  2006 eagle3d.ttf
-rw-r--r--   1   59350 Nov 27  2006 ic.inc
-rw-r--r--   1   14237 Nov 27  2006 qfp.inc
-rw-r--r--   1   81236 Nov 27  2006 resistor.inc
-rw-r--r--   1   16955 Nov 27  2006 socket.inc
-rw-r--r--   1   95898 Nov 27  2006 special.inc
-rw-r--r--   1   48831 Nov 27  2006 switch.inc
-rwx------   1     223 Nov 27  2006 tex_elko.png
-rwx------   1    3039 Nov 27  2006 tex_elko_axial.png
-rw-r--r--   1   46472 Nov 27  2006 tools.inc
-rw-r--r--   1   33623 Nov 27  2006 trafo.inc
-rw-r--r--   1   31581 Nov 27  2006 transistor.inc
-rw-r--r--   1       0 Nov 27  2006 user.inc

I tried placing all those files in POVray's "include" folder, but I'm
still getting error messages when I try to render the POV file, so I
assume I have to place them somewhere else or I'm not understanding how
to use POVray properly.
Here are those error messages:

POV-Ray 3.6 for Mac OS Frontend Build 197

Persistence of Vision(tm) Ray Tracer Version 3.6.1 (Mac CodeWarrior)
This is an official version prepared by the POV-Ray Team. See the
  documentation on how to contact the authors or visit us on the
  internet at http://www.povray.org/.
POV-Ray is based on DKBTrace 2.12 by David K. Buck & Aaron A. Collins
Copyright 1991-2003 Persistence of Vision Team
Copyright 2003-2004 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.
Parsing Options
   Input file: Internal_drive:Users:Tiger:Desktop:test.pov (compatible
to version 3.60)
   Remove bounds........On   Split unions.........On
   Library paths:
Output Options
   Image resolution 160 by 120 (rows 0 to 120, columns 0 to 160).
   Output file: test.pict, 24 bpp (system format)
   Graphic display.....On  (gamma:  1.8)
   Mosaic preview.......Off
   CPU usage histogram.Off
   Continued trace......Off
Tracing Options
   Quality:  9
   Bounding boxes......On  Bounding threshold: 1
   Light Buffer.........On   Vista Buffer.........On   Draw Vista
Buffer....Off
   Antialiasing........Off
   Radiosity............Off
Animation Options
   Clock value....   0.000  (Animation off)
Possible Parse Error: Could not find file 'tools.inc'

File test.pov line 117
Parse Error: Cannot open include file tools.inc.

File test.pov line 117
Parse Warning: Check that the file is in a directory specifed with a +L
switch or 'Library_Path='
.INI item. Standard include files are in the include directory or
folder. Please read your
documentation carefully.

File test.pov line 117
Total Scene Processing Times
   Parse Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
   Photon Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
   Render Time:   0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)
   Total Time:    0 hours  0 minutes  0 seconds (0 seconds)

Post a reply to this message

> Upon contacting the author of Eagle 3D I was told that I need to tell
> POVray the location of a specific folder which came with Eagle 3D.
> However, I don't see any way of configuring this in POVray.

Here:  http://www.povray.org/documentation/view/3.6.1/751/

G.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm a complete newbie when it comes to POVray and need some help
> configuring and using it.
> I'm on a Powerbook G4 (1.67GHz) running MacOS 10.4.10.
> I've installed POVray 3.6.
>
> I barely know what POVray is (excuse my ignorance), but have an interest
> in it because of "Eagle 3D" which is a script that produces a .POV file
> out of an electronic circuit board design.
[snip]

> Possible Parse Error: Could not find file 'tools.inc'
>
> File test.pov line 117
> Parse Error: Cannot open include file tools.inc.
>
> File test.pov line 117
> Parse Warning: Check that the file is in a directory specifed with a +L
> switch or 'Library_Path='
> .INI item. Standard include files are in the include directory or
> folder. Please read your
> documentation carefully.

Welcome Tiger,

instructions. The error message you got tells you that there is a file that
cannot be found (tools.inc) and you should enter a search path into, what in
windows is POVRAY.INI. The documentation should tell you what to do. Or you
could put tools.inc in the same folder as the Pov file, that should work
too.
Do try and take some time to learn a bit about Pov-Ray in its own right
before you start using it as a render engine, it might not be what you
expect. To get good quality images you will need to understand how Pov-Ray
works.
WARNING Pov-Ray can be addictive :-)
I wandered in here about eight years ago because I read that Pov-Ray could

Stephen

Post a reply to this message