POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.macintosh : Memory problems Server Time
29 Mar 2024 07:24:17 EDT (-0400)
  Memory problems (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Anthony D  Baye
Subject: Memory problems
Date: 5 Nov 2005 02:21:16
Message: <436c5d6c$1@news.povray.org>
I'm using POV 3.6 with OS X 10.2.8

The project I'm currently working on involves very large numbers of very
small objects, placed randomly using the trace function.  The problem
seems to be that I keep running out of memory and POV shuts down.
Normally, I would increase the memory reqs in the info window, but it
won't allow me to: It seems to be locked at 80000kB

Is this normal, or is it a bug? if Neither, what can I do?

Regards,

A.D.B

Post a reply to this message

> The project I'm currently working on involves very large numbers of very
> small objects, placed randomly using the trace function.  The problem
> seems to be that I keep running out of memory and POV shuts down.
> Normally, I would increase the memory reqs in the info window, but it
> won't allow me to: It seems to be locked at 80000kB
>
> Is this normal, or is it a bug? if Neither, what can I do?

That setting you see in the Finder (note that this has nothing to do with
anything POV-Ray can control!) is absolutely meaningless unless you run
POV-Ray in Classic, which would be pointless and i can only hope you are not
doing it.  In Mac OS X there is no predefined limit, so if you run out of
memory it means your scene needs more the three GB of memory or you run out
of swap space before that (whichever comes first).

	Thorsten