POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Inquiry on Implementing Ray Tracing for 3D Gaussians in POV-Ray Server Time
27 Sep 2024 03:27:00 EDT (-0400)
  Inquiry on Implementing Ray Tracing for 3D Gaussians in POV-Ray (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Harry Peverell
Subject: Inquiry on Implementing Ray Tracing for 3D Gaussians in POV-Ray
Date: 24 Sep 2024 01:20:00
Message: <web.66f24bce4c2d0dd34a666fbab1b44dfe@news.povray.org>
I am currently exploring the integration of 3D Gaussian Splatting (3DGS) models
into the POV-Ray rendering environment, and I have a couple of questions.

The 3DGS model represents a scene as a collection of discrete 3D Gaussian
ellipsoids, each with varying sizes and properties.   As far as I understand,
POV-Ray does not natively support ray tracing for ellipsoids of differing
dimensions.   Is there a way to modify POV-Ray to accommodate the unique
characteristics of 3DGS models and enable ray tracing for these variable-sized
ellipsoids?

If such modifications are possible, could you provide insights into the process
or point me towards resources where I might find information on how to implement
these changes?   Alternatively, if there are existing workarounds or plugins
that could help achieve similar results, I would be very interested in learning
about them.

I believe that integrating 3DGS into POV-Ray could significantly enhance the
rendering capabilities, especially for scenes that require high levels of detail
and realism.   Any advice or assistance you could offer would be greatly
appreciated.

Best regards,

Harry

Post a reply to this message