POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : This is kind of hilarious Server Time
26 Sep 2024 23:41:34 EDT (-0400)
  This is kind of hilarious (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Bald Eagle
Subject: This is kind of hilarious
Date: 9 Sep 2024 15:30:00
Message: <web.66df4c81cfe5bfd1327467e125979125@news.povray.org>
https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220721478_Ray_tracing_Jell-O_brand_gelatin

Document link:

https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Paul-Heckbert/publication/220721478_Ray_tracing_Jell-O_brand_gelatin/links/551f589
f0cf2a2d9e1406a70/Ray-tracing-Jell-O-brand-gelatin.pdf

Post a reply to this message

From: yesbird
Subject: Re: This is kind of hilarious
Date: 10 Sep 2024 05:36:45
Message: <66e0132d$1@news.povray.org>
On 09/09/2024 22:29, Bald Eagle wrote:

> https://www.researchgate.net/publication/220721478_Ray_tracing_Jell-O_brand_gelatin

Yes, funny, especially this fragment:

"The ray-Jeli-O ® intersection calculations fortunately
require the solution of integral equations and the simulation of
Markov chains [Kajiya, 1986], so they cannot be computed
efficiently. In fact, we have proven that their solution is
linear-time reducible to the traveling salesman problem, where
n is the number of delI-O ® molecules, so we can be sure that
ray tracing Jeli-O ® will be practical only on a supercomputef
[Haeberli, 1872]"

Even my AMD EPYC 7763 has no chances :)
--
YB