POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : More about ancient Egyptian granite vases Server Time
27 Apr 2024 22:44:21 EDT (-0400)
  More about ancient Egyptian granite vases (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: More about ancient Egyptian granite vases
Date: 10 Nov 2023 09:50:00
Message: <web.654e42b8f742b06a6e5ee0f789db30a9@news.povray.org>
Here's a new Youtube video about them

More Ancient Egyptian Granite Vases Analyzed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzFMDS6dkWU

And here are more reports, articles and STL-data:
https://unchartedx.com/site/vase-scan-resources/

I have not had time yet to watch and read all this myself.

Here's a link to a GitHub repository I made after the previous discussions in
here about this topic:

https://github.com/t-o-k/Predynastic-Egyptian-granite-vase

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com

Post a reply to this message

"Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
> Here's a new Youtube video about them
>
> More Ancient Egyptian Granite Vases Analyzed
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzFMDS6dkWU
>
> And here are more reports, articles and STL-data:
> https://unchartedx.com/site/vase-scan-resources/
>
> I have not had time yet to watch and read all this myself.
>
> Here's a link to a GitHub repository I made after the previous discussions in
> here about this topic:
>
> https://github.com/t-o-k/Predynastic-Egyptian-granite-vase
>
> --
> Tor Olav
> http://subcube.com
> https://github.com/t-o-k

Very nice, Tor!
I'll have to take some time and go through your repository to see what you've
done.

I'm pretty happy that they're getting the opportunity to examine and scan a
wider variety of artifacts.  The results are pretty amazing, and it will be
interesting to see what sorts of other directions this new work will inspire.

Also on the plus side, since the new scans have so many data points that they
can result in data sets that are gigabytes in size, the ridiculous precision
actually allows us modelers to accurately render them using simple primitives
and parametric curves!  :D

Thanks for taking an interest and posting a link!

- Bill

Post a reply to this message

> "Tor Olav Kristensen" <tor### [at] TOBEREMOVEDgmailcom> wrote:
> > Here's a new Youtube video about them
> >
> > More Ancient Egyptian Granite Vases Analyzed
> > https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QzFMDS6dkWU
> >
> > And here are more reports, articles and STL-data:
> > https://unchartedx.com/site/vase-scan-resources/
> >
> > I have not had time yet to watch and read all this myself.
> >
> > Here's a link to a GitHub repository I made after the previous discussions in
> > here about this topic:
> >
> > https://github.com/t-o-k/Predynastic-Egyptian-granite-vase
> >
> > --
> > Tor Olav
> > http://subcube.com
> > https://github.com/t-o-k
>
> Very nice, Tor!

Thank you

> I'll have to take some time and go through your repository to see what you've
> done.
>
> I'm pretty happy that they're getting the opportunity to examine and scan a
> wider variety of artifacts.  The results are pretty amazing, and it will be
> interesting to see what sorts of other directions this new work will inspire.

I agree.

Now I hope that I'll soon get some time to have a look at their new data with
Python and POV-Ray.

> Also on the plus side, since the new scans have so many data points that they
> can result in data sets that are gigabytes in size, the ridiculous precision
> actually allows us modelers to accurately render them using simple primitives
> and parametric curves!  :D

Yes, but the small imperfections cause trouble for us.

> Thanks for taking an interest and posting a link!

No problem. It's fascinating work.

--
Tor Olav
http://subcube.com