POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sharing newsgroup's material in personal blog Server Time
29 Feb 2024 21:21:42 EST (-0500)
  Sharing newsgroup's material in personal blog (Message 1 to 7 of 7)  
From: yesbird
Subject: Sharing newsgroup's material in personal blog
Date: 15 Feb 2023 19:45:00
Message: <web.63ed7bedb026150968fd655b10800fb2@news.povray.org>
I am starting a personal blog about POV-Lab and POV-Ray common techniques:
https://povlab.online.

But before publishing anything I would like to know if it's correct to share
information from these newsgroups there, assuming that I will refer to the
appropriate sources ?
--
YB


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Sharing newsgroup's material in personal blog
Date: 15 Feb 2023 19:55:00
Message: <web.63ed7de2bf505f621f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"yesbird" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> I am starting a personal blog about POV-Lab and POV-Ray common techniques:
> https://povlab.online.
>
> But before publishing anything I would like to know if it's correct to share
> information from these newsgroups there, assuming that I will refer to the
> appropriate sources ?
> --
> YB

It's a publicly accessible newsgroup, on The Internet.
You can share, quote, post, link, whatever you want.

I think that what people like me are more interested in is encouraging people to
visit the forum, engage in projects, share their knowledge and expertise, and
breathe some new life into a 30+ year old project.  And developers who can move
the project forward so that we can have new tools and resources in POV-Ray 4.0

I'm fine with it.  I'd encourage you to bring as many people over here to look
as possible.   Especially from the Matlab world.

- BW


Post a reply to this message

From: yesbird
Subject: Re: Sharing newsgroup's material in personal blog
Date: 15 Feb 2023 20:10:00
Message: <web.63ed81e5bf505f6268fd655b10800fb2@news.povray.org>
> I'm fine with it.  I'd encourage you to bring as many people over here to look
> as possible.   Especially from the Matlab world.

Ok, I will do my best :)
And also welcome everybody, who has ideas about publications to join.
--
YB


Post a reply to this message

From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: Sharing newsgroup's material in personal blog
Date: 16 Feb 2023 05:56:49
Message: <63ee0bf1$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/15/23 19:44, yesbird wrote:
> I am starting a personal blog about POV-Lab and POV-Ray common techniques:
> https://povlab.online.
> 
> But before publishing anything I would like to know if it's correct to share
> information from these newsgroups there, assuming that I will refer to the
> appropriate sources ?
> --
> YB
> 

Perhaps Chris will have something to say about what's in the newsgroup's 
"mailing" header for a copyright message, but, the other day while 
chasing my missing news server posts, the copyright bit caught my eye as 
something odd - it certainly looks old given the language. If it hadn't 
caught my eye just days ago, I'd have answered as Bill W given our posts 
are searchable from the web. I don't think the copyright is visible from
the web interface - and it isn't from a news reader either unless you 
look at the source message.

Below the top part of your lead post seen as source excepting the '|' 
chars I added trying not to confuse the server with two headers.

Bill P.

---

| From: "yesbird" <nomail@nomail>
| Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 19:44:00 EST
| Newsgroups: povray.general
| Message-ID: <web.63ed7bedb026150968fd655b10800fb2@news.povray.org>
| Subject: Sharing newsgroup's material in personal blog
| ...
| Lines: 16
| X-No-Archive: Yes
| X-Copyright: This copyrighted article comes from a private news server 
| and may NOT be distributed on USENET or other news servers.
| ...

I am starting a personal blog about POV-Lab and POV-Ray common techniques:
https://povlab.online.


Post a reply to this message

From: yesbird
Subject: Re: Sharing newsgroup's material in personal blog
Date: 16 Feb 2023 07:35:00
Message: <web.63ee220fbf505f62ca9e57c410800fb2@news.povray.org>
> Perhaps Chris will have something to say about what's in the newsgroup's
> "mailing" header for a copyright message, but, the other day while
> chasing my missing news server posts, the copyright bit caught my eye as
> something odd - it certainly looks old given the language.

I understand you, thinking almost the same, but besides copyright, there is also
ethics, and I prefer before taking something to ask first ;). But nowadays,
ethics may be outdated too. Am not sure...

As to BE reply, he wants to attract a community to this newsgroup and to POV in
general, and I suppose it's possible to, choosing some modern methods and
platforms: youtube, discord (btw, very popular now). I suppose, opening a
discord channel will bring more visitors, than struggling with Google :).

This newsgroup contains a lot of valuable and unique information, but interface
is outdated (I like it, as I am old-school man), but people wants something more
attractive, with embedded images and video, say, like:
https://www.zbrushcentral.com/c/zbrush-help/6

Let's take into account that POV-Ray is producing images, and this is the first,
what user expects to see, when clicking the link.
--
YB


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Sharing newsgroup's material in personal blog
Date: 16 Feb 2023 13:15:00
Message: <web.63ee724ebf505f621f9dae3025979125@news.povray.org>
"yesbird" <nomail@nomail> wrote:

> Let's take into account that POV-Ray is producing images, and this is the first,
> what user expects to see, when clicking the link.

Well then send them here!

https://hof.povray.org/


Post a reply to this message

From: Chris Cason
Subject: Re: Sharing newsgroup's material in personal blog
Date: 18 Feb 2023 08:17:43
Message: <63f0cff7$1@news.povray.org>
That X-Copyright bit was added to the post headers automatically due to an issue we
had last century (I'm pretty sure it was pre-2K) where a news server admin who was
apparently trying to get his NNTP server in the top provider of content to USENET
(some sort of bragging competition between admins).

He kept adding us as a news source from various IP's, evading any attempt to stop him,
and would pull all our groups onto USENET. This caused us problems because we never
pulled from USENET ourselves. This resulted in e.g. povray.general appearing on NNTP
servers around the world, and when people posted questions on it they never got to us.
We were even accused of censoring posts because someone saw a comment on the USENET
povray.general but it didn't appear here ...

So as part of trying to keep a lid on this I added that header so if anyone complained
about content on USENET I could point to that header to demonstrate we don't provide
support on USENET.

That chap was quite a pest. Eventually his server got shut down and that's the last I
heard of him.

So yeah, the header isn't really relevant today, though technically it could still
happen.

-- Chris

On 16/02/2023 21:56, William F Pokorny wrote:
> On 2/15/23 19:44, yesbird wrote:
>> I am starting a personal blog about POV-Lab and POV-Ray common techniques:
>> https://povlab.online.
>>
>> But before publishing anything I would like to know if it's correct to share
>> information from these newsgroups there, assuming that I will refer to the
>> appropriate sources ?
>> -- 
>> YB
>>
> 
> Perhaps Chris will have something to say about what's in the newsgroup's "mailing"
header for a copyright message, but, the other day while chasing my missing news
server posts, the copyright bit caught my eye as something odd - it certainly looks
old given the language. If it hadn't caught my eye just days ago, I'd have answered as
Bill W given our posts are searchable from the web. I don't think the copyright is
visible from
> the web interface - and it isn't from a news reader either unless you look at the
source message.
> 
> Below the top part of your lead post seen as source excepting the '|' chars I added
trying not to confuse the server with two headers.
> 
> Bill P.
> 
> ---
> 
> | From: "yesbird" <nomail@nomail>
> | Date: Wed, 15 Feb 2023 19:44:00 EST
> | Newsgroups: povray.general
> | Message-ID: <web.63ed7bedb026150968fd655b10800fb2@news.povray.org>
> | Subject: Sharing newsgroup's material in personal blog
> | ...
> | Lines: 16
> | X-No-Archive: Yes
> | X-Copyright: This copyrighted article comes from a private news server | and may
NOT be distributed on USENET or other news servers.
> | ...
> 
> I am starting a personal blog about POV-Lab and POV-Ray common techniques:
> https://povlab.online.


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2023 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.