POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : <no subject> Server Time
28 Mar 2024 05:13:27 EDT (-0400)
  <no subject> (Message 1 to 10 of 16)
From: yesbird
Subject: <no subject>
Date: 11 Feb 2023 18:10:00
Message: <web.63e81e7cc23a6d9bcf31c7f10800fb2@news.povray.org>
Hi,
Long-long time ago, in the early 90s, when I was working in an institute of
applied mathematics after graduation from university, my scientific adviser
brought from SIGGRAPH conference a very impressive book - "The Algorithmic
Beauty of Plants" (http://algorithmicbotany.org/papers/abop/abop.pdf).

I've asked him to give me it to read at home and spent many sleepless nights
doing it. It was a fantastic journey to the world of L-systems which I was not
familiar with at those times.

Now, looking for the sources of the yes-objects for my yes-POV-project I
remembered about it and googled out following software that want to share with
you:

http://algorithmicbotany.org/virtual_laboratory/

This is a very well-done implementation of Aristid Lindenmayer's ideas,
extendable and running on different platforms.

Now I am looking for the way of integration it with POV, suppose it will be
great source of additional geometric structures for rendering.

Any ideas about possible integration are welcome :).
--
YB

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'lsystem.png' (176 KB)

Preview of image 'lsystem.png'
lsystem.png

Sorry, subject should be: "L-Systems for POV"
Don't know how to edit it now :(
--
YB

Post a reply to this message

Le 2023-02-11 à 18:07, yesbird a écrit :
> Hi,
> Long-long time ago, in the early 90s, when I was working in an institute of
> applied mathematics after graduation from university, my scientific adviser
> brought from SIGGRAPH conference a very impressive book - "The Algorithmic
> Beauty of Plants" (http://algorithmicbotany.org/papers/abop/abop.pdf).
>
> I've asked him to give me it to read at home and spent many sleepless nights
> doing it. It was a fantastic journey to the world of L-systems which I was not
> familiar with at those times.
>
> Now, looking for the sources of the yes-objects for my yes-POV-project I
> remembered about it and googled out following software that want to share with
> you:
>
> http://algorithmicbotany.org/virtual_laboratory/
>
> This is a very well-done implementation of Aristid Lindenmayer's ideas,
> extendable and running on different platforms.
>
> Now I am looking for the way of integration it with POV, suppose it will be
> great source of additional geometric structures for rendering.
>
> Any ideas about possible integration are welcome :).
> --
> YB

It looks like it use splines to construct the paths of the branches. If
so, and if it can export a list of points with the associated radius,
then, you could use a bunch of sphere_sweep to reproduce those in POV-Ray.

Post a reply to this message

From: yesbird
Date: 12 Feb 2023 10:50:00
Message: <web.63e9092a6f92e856bcf31c7f10800fb2@news.povray.org>
Hi, Alain

> It looks like it use splines to construct the paths of the branches.

Now I know - things are more complicated and interesting. It's possible to
communicate with it via socked by specified protocol and get all entities this
way. Also possible to save OBJ, Rayshade, Postscript, and even POV (!), but it's
not working, the system is little bit raw and need some maintenance, I'm working
on it :)

I've attached manual, described primitives, for those, who interested in.
--
YB

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'graph.pdf' (1076 KB)

From: yesbird
Date: 13 Feb 2023 15:05:00
Message: <web.63ea96e06f92e8563691b85710800fb2@news.povray.org>
Finally I was able to force it to work !
The system is powerful and flexible, but need some polishing and... patience.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'lsystem.obj_pov_scene.png' (179 KB)

Preview of image 'lsystem.obj_pov_scene.png'
lsystem.obj_pov_scene.png

From: And
Date: 14 Feb 2023 01:55:00
Message: <web.63eb2f836f92e856a86b7ebfaa81652d@news.povray.org>
"yesbird" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Finally I was able to force it to work !
> The system is powerful and flexible, but need some polishing and... patience.

This picture gives good idea for me.

Post a reply to this message

From: yesbird
Date: 14 Feb 2023 05:05:00
Message: <web.63eb5bb86f92e85668fd655b10800fb2@news.povray.org>

> This picture gives good idea for me.

I'm glad, and what idea ?

My idea, at first, was to write L-system for plants and fractals generation on
SDL, I even made draft, but I'm not master SLD good enough and it will take to
much time and effort, moreover I'm already have 3 opened projects :)
--
YB

Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Date: 14 Feb 2023 12:45:00
Message: <web.63ebc7e46f92e8569b4924336e066e29@news.povray.org>
"yesbird" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> Finally I was able to force it to work !
> The system is powerful and flexible, but need some polishing and... patience.

Your results are looking good!

So far, I see that one branch of your plant generates two more branches, then
etc. Regarding plants and trees, the mathematical Fibonacci Series seem to be at
play. As far as I understand it, one branch produces three(?) succeeding
branches along its stem, in a kind of 120-deg spiral pattern. Once I became of
aware of the Fibonacci stuff, I began looking at plants in more detail... and
sure enough, I keep seeing that '3-branch' pattern over and over again.

I don't know much about L-systems at all, but I assume that it can be extended
from two to three 'off-shoot' branches? That would make your plants much more
realistic.

Post a reply to this message

From: yesbird
Date: 14 Feb 2023 13:10:00
Message: <web.63ebce026f92e85668fd655b10800fb2@news.povray.org>
"Kenneth" <kdw### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> "yesbird" <nomail@nomail> wrote:
> > Finally I was able to force it to work !
> > The system is powerful and flexible, but need some polishing and... patience.
>
> Your results are looking good!

Thanks, but not enough good, yet )
It was a fast test of rendering after conversion from OBJ.

>I keep seeing that '3-branch' pattern over and over again.

We always see only what we want to see :)
You are right about structure, there is a rule in this LS, that defines the
number of children.

> I don't know much about L-systems at all, but I assume that it can be extended
> from two to three 'off-shoot' branches? That would make your plants much more
> realistic.

Yes, LS are very flexible and simple (by idea), they have a dictionary and
grammar - number of rules that produce a long sequence of terms in our case -
sequence of building tree.

Here is fundamental work about them:

From: Paolo Gibellini
Date: 16 Feb 2023 18:47:53
Message: <63eec0a9$1@news.povray.org>
Il 12/02/2023 00:07, yesbird ha scritto:

Time ago I wrote a simple L-System parser in POV-Ray for povfrac
contest, and I think that Michael made a version for 3D L-Systems.
A fascinating topic.
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3C50e54231@news.povray.org%3E/
http://news.povray.org/povray.advanced-users/thread/%3C50f54d1a%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

Paolo