POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : obj2pov.c wanted Server Time
28 Mar 2024 08:39:53 EDT (-0400)
  obj2pov.c wanted (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: yesbird
Subject: obj2pov.c wanted
Date: 8 Feb 2023 13:15:00
Message: <web.63e3e5ef279d90f77eb01f2810800fb2@news.povray.org>
Hi, guys !

As a side project I am starting a ZBrush plugin for transferring mesh data to
POV. Before I will get details about ZBrush internal structures, I would like to
make a draft workflow: ZBrush->OBJ->POV, but can't find OBJ->POV converter.

Links here are dead:

https://www.povray.org/resources/links/3D_Programs/Conversion_Utilities/
ftp://mystique.servetheweb.com/pub/obj2pov/obj2pov.c

and googling gives nothing. Maybe someone keeps it in a private archive ?

Please, help !
--
YB

Post a reply to this message

> As a side project I am starting a ZBrush plugin for transferring mesh data to
> POV. Before I will get details about ZBrush internal structures, I would like to
> make a draft workflow: ZBrush->OBJ->POV, but can't find OBJ->POV converter.
>
> Links here are dead:
>
> https://www.povray.org/resources/links/3D_Programs/Conversion_Utilities/
> ftp://mystique.servetheweb.com/pub/obj2pov/obj2pov.c
>
> and googling gives nothing. Maybe someone keeps it in a private archive ?

googling I find a same-named java utility
<https://github.com/JossWhittle/Obj2Pov>, but perhaps that's not an option?  if
you get no luck, and if the generated .obj only contains vector + face data
lines, I have an old Tcl script which could be adapted (write).

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> ... generated .obj only contains vector + face data

                                   ^^^^^^
                                   vertex

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> if you get no luck, and if the generated .obj only contains vector + face data
> lines, I have an old Tcl script which could be adapted (write).

I want also colors and normals, if any in OBJ, will continue search, but thanks
in any case.
--
YB

Post a reply to this message

> As a side project I am starting a ZBrush plugin for transferring mesh data to
> POV. Before I will get details about ZBrush internal structures, I would like to
> make a draft workflow: ZBrush->OBJ->POV, but can't find OBJ->POV converter.

> and googling gives nothing. Maybe someone keeps it in a private archive ?
>
> Please, help !

You probably won't find one, but consider this:
STL is virtually mesh {}, it's just a few simple line modifications.

IIRC, Cousin Ricky and I have done our own find/replace strategies, so it should
be simple to do OBJ->STL->POV mesh

Post a reply to this message

> You probably won't find one, but consider this:

Thanks, this is an option. Also I've emailed to Paul Bourke, asking him about
permissions for using his works in POV-Lab and about this converter too.

I know, he is using it.

Post a reply to this message

> As a side project I am starting a ZBrush plugin for transferring mesh data to
> POV. Before I will get details about ZBrush internal structures, I would like to
> make a draft workflow: ZBrush->OBJ->POV, but can't find OBJ->POV converter.
>
> Links here are dead:
>
> https://www.povray.org/resources/links/3D_Programs/Conversion_Utilities/
> ftp://mystique.servetheweb.com/pub/obj2pov/obj2pov.c
>
> and googling gives nothing. Maybe someone keeps it in a private archive ?
>
> Please, help !
> --
> YB

Paying only loose attention to this thread, but I think many use the
windows program PoseRay to convert from Obj (and many other formats) to
POV-Ray SDL.

Some years ago this program ran under wine on linux for me, but I've
done nothing current with it. Plus, I'm a little unsure of the current
status of PoseRay not having seen much recent mention of it. Thomas?

https://sites.google.com/site/poseray/

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

> Paying only loose attention to this thread, but I think many use the
> windows program PoseRay to convert from Obj (and many other formats) to
> POV-Ray SDL.

Many thanks for your reply, I was very close to canceling this project, but now
I found exactly what I was looking for - many options and converting from
command line.

> Some years ago this program ran under wine on linux for me, but I've
> done nothing current with it. Plus, I'm a little unsure of the current
> status of PoseRay not having seen much recent mention of it. Thomas?

Present version (v.3.13.31 - March 2, 2021) works like a charm !

All the best,
--
YB

Post a reply to this message

Op 9-2-2023 om 13:12 schreef William F Pokorny:
> Paying only loose attention to this thread, but I think many use the
> windows program PoseRay to convert from Obj (and many other formats) to
> POV-Ray SDL.
>
> Some years ago this program ran under wine on linux for me, but I've
> done nothing current with it. Plus, I'm a little unsure of the current
> status of PoseRay not having seen much recent mention of it. Thomas?
>
> https://sites.google.com/site/poseray/

Coming too late to this thread, but yes, I would also have suggested
Poseray indeed. It works like a charm for all kind of things.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message