POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : flattened curve Server Time
29 Mar 2024 04:09:41 EDT (-0400)
  flattened curve (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: David Kraics
Subject: flattened curve
Date: 15 Sep 2022 18:50:00
Message: <web.6323aad77967e8641c1b6180a57e0@news.povray.org>
trying to render an airplane and I need a more subtle curve. let me explain.
Imagine a box that is one unit high and four units wide. Now place, in front of
it, a quarter of a cylinder with a radius of one unit. The center of the quarter
cylinder is at the top right corner of the box. The curve then travels, from the
bottom right corner, to the top left corner, thanks to a 4 scale in the x
direction. How do I make that curve more subtle, to closer approach an almost
straight line between those two corners?

Post a reply to this message

Op 16/09/2022 om 00:44 schreef David Kraics:
> trying to render an airplane and I need a more subtle curve. let me explain.
> Imagine a box that is one unit high and four units wide. Now place, in front of
> it, a quarter of a cylinder with a radius of one unit. The center of the quarter
> cylinder is at the top right corner of the box. The curve then travels, from the
> bottom right corner, to the top left corner, thanks to a 4 scale in the x
> direction. How do I make that curve more subtle, to closer approach an almost
> straight line between those two corners?

Probably not what you want but straightforward:

Solution 1: Scale down y by a factor of 10 (for instance) in both the
box and quarter cylinder: scale <1, 0.1, 1>.

Solution 2: Scale up x by a factor 10 in both the box and quarter
cylinder: scale <10, 1, 1>.

You can always resize your object afterwards.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

"David Kraics" <bar### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> trying to render an airplane and I need a more subtle curve. let me explain.
> Imagine a box that is one unit high and four units wide. Now place, in front of
> it, a quarter of a cylinder with a radius of one unit. The center of the quarter
> cylinder is at the top right corner of the box. The curve then travels, from the
> bottom right corner, to the top left corner, thanks to a 4 scale in the x
> direction. How do I make that curve more subtle, to closer approach an almost
> straight line between those two corners?

Totally not following your explanation.

Maybe use a spline to define your curve, and a prism to make the entire object?

Post a reply to this message

Le 2022-09-15 à 18:44, David Kraics a écrit :
> trying to render an airplane and I need a more subtle curve. let me explain.
> Imagine a box that is one unit high and four units wide. Now place, in front of
> it, a quarter of a cylinder with a radius of one unit. The center of the quarter
> cylinder is at the top right corner of the box. The curve then travels, from the
> bottom right corner, to the top left corner, thanks to a 4 scale in the x
> direction. How do I make that curve more subtle, to closer approach an almost
> straight line between those two corners?

Apparently, you want to model the wings.

I'd start with that cylinder, but apply some uneven scaling. It could be
something like :
cylinder{End1, End2, 1 scale<5,1,1>}

A larger value will result in flatter top and bottom parts.

Another option would be to use a prism for the wings. Then, it's just a
question of choosing the interpolation method that work best for your
needs. Try the bicubic spline. Maybe more cumbersome, but, you'll need
only one object for the whole wing.

Post a reply to this message

On 16/09/2022 00:44, David Kraics wrote:
> trying to render an airplane and I need a more subtle curve. let me explain.
> Imagine a box that is one unit high and four units wide. Now place, in front of
> it, a quarter of a cylinder with a radius of one unit. The center of the quarter
> cylinder is at the top right corner of the box. The curve then travels, from the
> bottom right corner, to the top left corner, thanks to a 4 scale in the x
> direction. How do I make that curve more subtle, to closer approach an almost
> straight line between those two corners?

This page will surely give you ideas :
<http://www.f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/x_sam/tec_800e.htm>

--
Kurtz le pirate