POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I got a new 64bit computer! Server Time
28 Mar 2024 10:18:53 EDT (-0400)
  I got a new 64bit computer! (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Leroy
Subject: I got a new 64bit computer!
Date: 7 Oct 2020 13:00:01
Message: <web.5f7df2aa63a685a12aeece030@news.povray.org>
The first thing I did is put POV 3.7 on it. My first test was 10 times faster
than my old computer.

 My old computer was dual core running winXp. The new computer is quad core and
runs win10. So you see I haven't upgraded in a long time.

 I'm so happy I just had to tell ya all about it!

 I'm not as happy with win10, yet. It relies on the internet to much & the
cloud. It has a bunch of crap on it that I'm going to get rid of. The windows
programs I wrote to help with POV will run on win10. But the help files on most
of them won't. I'll need to rewrite them into html files then use the brower.

 The computer itself is fantastic, after I added a 4 Tara bite hard drive. I
have enough room to put twice the data on it that the Xp has. It also has 8 gig
of memory. So shouldn't worry about having POV use a hard drive as memory. The
old computer had a gig of memory and I rarely topped that.

 Now the fun part... I got to get it all set up to do my POV thing. With over 20
years with POV there is a lot to go though. I need to organize it, drop things
I'll never use again(I still have 3.1 bat files),and get ready for POV 4.

Have Fun! I know I will!

Post a reply to this message

> The first thing I did is put POV 3.7 on it. My first test was 10 times faster
> than my old computer.
>
>  My old computer was dual core running winXp. The new computer is quad core and
> runs win10. So you see I haven't upgraded in a long time.
>
>  I'm so happy I just had to tell ya all about it!
>
>  I'm not as happy with win10, yet. It relies on the internet to much & the
> cloud. It has a bunch of crap on it that I'm going to get rid of. The windows
> programs I wrote to help with POV will run on win10. But the help files on most
> of them won't. I'll need to rewrite them into html files then use the brower.
>
>  The computer itself is fantastic, after I added a 4 Tara bite hard drive. I
> have enough room to put twice the data on it that the Xp has. It also has 8 gig
> of memory. So shouldn't worry about having POV use a hard drive as memory. The
> old computer had a gig of memory and I rarely topped that.
>
>  Now the fun part... I got to get it all set up to do my POV thing. With over 20
> years with POV there is a lot to go though. I need to organize it, drop things
> I'll never use again(I still have 3.1 bat files),and get ready for POV 4.
>
> Have Fun! I know I will!

Sounds like you'll find a few lost toys buried in your garden ! :-)

Post a reply to this message

> The first thing I did is put POV 3.7 on it. My first test was 10 times faster
> than my old computer.
>
>  My old computer was dual core running winXp.

Congratulations! I know the feeling, I had an XP machine before my current (but
still old) Win 7 box.

>  I'm not as happy with win10, yet. It relies on the internet to much & the
> cloud. It has a bunch of crap on it that I'm going to get rid of.

I'm still not convinced that I need Win 10; I basically don't like its
radical(?) user-interface changes from XP/7. I'm perfectly happy with Win 7; my
only gripe with my machine is its limited RAM capability.

>  The computer itself is fantastic, after I added a 4 Tara bite hard drive. I
> have enough room to put twice the data on it that the Xp has. It also has 8 gig
> of memory. So shouldn't worry about having POV use a hard drive as memory. The
> old computer had a gig of memory and I rarely topped that.

Well, *just* when you think 8GB is enough... :-P

Post a reply to this message

>> The first thing I did is put POV 3.7 on it. My first test was 10 times faster
>> than my old computer.
>>
>>   My old computer was dual core running winXp.
>
> Congratulations! I know the feeling, I had an XP machine before my current (but
> still old) Win 7 box.
>>
>>   I'm not as happy with win10, yet. It relies on the internet to much & the
>> cloud. It has a bunch of crap on it that I'm going to get rid of.
>
> I'm still not convinced that I need Win 10; I basically don't like its
> radical(?) user-interface changes from XP/7. I'm perfectly happy with Win 7; my
> only gripe with my machine is its limited RAM capability.
>>
>>   The computer itself is fantastic, after I added a 4 Tara bite hard drive. I
>> have enough room to put twice the data on it that the Xp has. It also has 8 gig
>> of memory. So shouldn't worry about having POV use a hard drive as memory. The
>> old computer had a gig of memory and I rarely topped that.
>
> Well, *just* when you think 8GB is enough... :-P

I use a program called Start10 to return the Start Menu back to
something very much like Windows 7's. But yeah I liked Windows 7 overall
more than Windows 10, though Start10 solves the most major gripe.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

> So shouldn't worry about having POV use a hard drive as memory. The
> old computer had a gig of memory and I rarely topped that.

I have 16GB RAM and run out of it in some scenes.

Mike

Post a reply to this message