POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : I got a new 64bit computer! Server Time: 24 Jan 2021 18:51:43 GMT
  I got a new 64bit computer! (Message 1 to 7 of 7)  
From: Leroy
Subject: I got a new 64bit computer!
Date: 7 Oct 2020 17:00:01
Message: <web.5f7df2aa63a685a12aeece030@news.povray.org>
The first thing I did is put POV 3.7 on it. My first test was 10 times faster
than my old computer.

 My old computer was dual core running winXp. The new computer is quad core and
runs win10. So you see I haven't upgraded in a long time.

 I'm so happy I just had to tell ya all about it!

 I'm not as happy with win10, yet. It relies on the internet to much & the
cloud. It has a bunch of crap on it that I'm going to get rid of. The windows
programs I wrote to help with POV will run on win10. But the help files on most
of them won't. I'll need to rewrite them into html files then use the brower.

 The computer itself is fantastic, after I added a 4 Tara bite hard drive. I
have enough room to put twice the data on it that the Xp has. It also has 8 gig
of memory. So shouldn't worry about having POV use a hard drive as memory. The
old computer had a gig of memory and I rarely topped that.

 Now the fun part... I got to get it all set up to do my POV thing. With over 20
years with POV there is a lot to go though. I need to organize it, drop things
I'll never use again(I still have 3.1 bat files),and get ready for POV 4.

Have Fun! I know I will!


Post a reply to this message

From: Mr
Subject: Re: I got a new 64bit computer!
Date: 7 Oct 2020 19:00:00
Message: <web.5f7e0fbbd6c2bbb36adeaecb0@news.povray.org>
"Leroy" <whe### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> The first thing I did is put POV 3.7 on it. My first test was 10 times faster
> than my old computer.
>
>  My old computer was dual core running winXp. The new computer is quad core and
> runs win10. So you see I haven't upgraded in a long time.
>
>  I'm so happy I just had to tell ya all about it!
>
>  I'm not as happy with win10, yet. It relies on the internet to much & the
> cloud. It has a bunch of crap on it that I'm going to get rid of. The windows
> programs I wrote to help with POV will run on win10. But the help files on most
> of them won't. I'll need to rewrite them into html files then use the brower.
>
>  The computer itself is fantastic, after I added a 4 Tara bite hard drive. I
> have enough room to put twice the data on it that the Xp has. It also has 8 gig
> of memory. So shouldn't worry about having POV use a hard drive as memory. The
> old computer had a gig of memory and I rarely topped that.
>
>  Now the fun part... I got to get it all set up to do my POV thing. With over 20
> years with POV there is a lot to go though. I need to organize it, drop things
> I'll never use again(I still have 3.1 bat files),and get ready for POV 4.
>
> Have Fun! I know I will!

Sounds like you'll find a few lost toys buried in your garden ! :-)


Post a reply to this message

From: Kenneth
Subject: Re: I got a new 64bit computer!
Date: 9 Oct 2020 03:25:01
Message: <web.5f7fd7e8d6c2bbb3d98418910@news.povray.org>
"Leroy" <whe### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> The first thing I did is put POV 3.7 on it. My first test was 10 times faster
> than my old computer.
>
>  My old computer was dual core running winXp.

Congratulations! I know the feeling, I had an XP machine before my current (but
still old) Win 7 box.
>
>  I'm not as happy with win10, yet. It relies on the internet to much & the
> cloud. It has a bunch of crap on it that I'm going to get rid of.

I'm still not convinced that I need Win 10; I basically don't like its
radical(?) user-interface changes from XP/7. I'm perfectly happy with Win 7; my
only gripe with my machine is its limited RAM capability.
>
>  The computer itself is fantastic, after I added a 4 Tara bite hard drive. I
> have enough room to put twice the data on it that the Xp has. It also has 8 gig
> of memory. So shouldn't worry about having POV use a hard drive as memory. The
> old computer had a gig of memory and I rarely topped that.

Well, *just* when you think 8GB is enough... :-P


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: I got a new 64bit computer!
Date: 13 Oct 2020 03:21:58
Message: <5f851d56@news.povray.org>
On 10/8/2020 11:24 PM, Kenneth wrote:
> "Leroy" <whe### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>> The first thing I did is put POV 3.7 on it. My first test was 10 times faster
>> than my old computer.
>>
>>   My old computer was dual core running winXp.
> 
> Congratulations! I know the feeling, I had an XP machine before my current (but
> still old) Win 7 box.
>>
>>   I'm not as happy with win10, yet. It relies on the internet to much & the
>> cloud. It has a bunch of crap on it that I'm going to get rid of.
> 
> I'm still not convinced that I need Win 10; I basically don't like its
> radical(?) user-interface changes from XP/7. I'm perfectly happy with Win 7; my
> only gripe with my machine is its limited RAM capability.
>>
>>   The computer itself is fantastic, after I added a 4 Tara bite hard drive. I
>> have enough room to put twice the data on it that the Xp has. It also has 8 gig
>> of memory. So shouldn't worry about having POV use a hard drive as memory. The
>> old computer had a gig of memory and I rarely topped that.
> 
> Well, *just* when you think 8GB is enough... :-P
> 
> 
> 
> 
> 

I use a program called Start10 to return the Start Menu back to 
something very much like Windows 7's. But yeah I liked Windows 7 overall 
more than Windows 10, though Start10 solves the most major gripe.

Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: I got a new 64bit computer!
Date: 13 Oct 2020 03:22:51
Message: <5f851d8b$1@news.povray.org>
On 10/7/2020 12:54 PM, Leroy wrote:
> So shouldn't worry about having POV use a hard drive as memory. The
> old computer had a gig of memory and I rarely topped that.

I have 16GB RAM and run out of it in some scenes.

Mike


Post a reply to this message

From: Alain Martel
Subject: Re: I got a new 64bit computer!
Date: 13 Oct 2020 17:59:39
Message: <5f85eb0b$1@news.povray.org>
Le 2020-10-12 à 23:22, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On 10/7/2020 12:54 PM, Leroy wrote:
>> So shouldn't worry about having POV use a hard drive as memory. The
>> old computer had a gig of memory and I rarely topped that.
> 
> I have 16GB RAM and run out of it in some scenes.
> 
> Mike

You never have to much RAM.
Even with 512GB of RAM, you's still find someone complaining that's not 
enough for his scene. Bumping the RAM up to 16TB /may/ be enough...


Post a reply to this message

From: Leroy
Subject: Re: I got a new 64bit computer!
Date: 18 Nov 2020 20:10:07
Message: <web.5fb57eacd6c2bbb350f4fe5f0@news.povray.org>
Update::
  While going through my old files I found a stadium in the code wrote for one
of my first animations. The animation was 'Free Knight out' and the crowd in the
stands always bothered me. The 'people' were just stick figures bouncing back
and forth between two poses. I could fix that now!
 But first the stadium! I needed a stadium for another animation in the works.
So instead of building another stadium from scratch, I decided to make a Stadium
System that could make any size stadium that I need. Who knows I may need
another stadium for a future project! So I've been working on that for the last
month.

 There are some things ran across while working with this new computer and
pov3.7.

  The Help chm file doesn't work as expected. (It might be the win10 browser)

 Everyone may know this already: When you use the mouse and the Ctrl key to
delete
stuff and you leave that single line running down the page, Then you type
something all the lines that are marked copy what you just typed.

 And one more thing no mater how fast POV renders there are still times that I
am too impatient to let it finish. Some times a 16 sec parse time seems like
forever.

 To finish up. I've made the Stadium System and put around 4 thousand 'people'
in a stadium build to hold 6 thousand, animated it and the 800*800 image took
less than 50 sec to render a frame. I like it!

Have Fun!


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.