POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Night Sky - Beginners Question Server Time
28 Mar 2024 07:03:33 EDT (-0400)
  Night Sky - Beginners Question (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Jezza
Subject: Night Sky - Beginners Question
Date: 27 Apr 2020 13:40:00
Message: <web.5ea7178fcccd067ee334aab10@news.povray.org>
Hi, I have only started on POV RAY for a day or so, so please go gently!
 I am trying to produce a 3D set of point light sources which the camera can
view.
Imagine that they were 10 or so stars in a Night Sky constellation. I know how
to get the
star coordinates etc etc, but have so far only used SPHERE as each object star.
The spheres size is determined by distance from camera, but I don't want
that...I want a small fixed size point of light for each coordinate star, that I
can vary the brightness of (to mimic the abs mag of the star), and also the
colour of each.

Any ideas...even if you just refer me to a tutorial !

Many Thanks
Jezza

Post a reply to this message

> Hi, I have only started on POV RAY for a day or so, so please go gently!

:-)

>  I am trying to produce a 3D set of point light sources which the camera can
> view.
> Imagine that they were 10 or so stars in a Night Sky constellation. I know how
> to get the
> star coordinates etc etc, but have so far only used SPHERE as each object star.
> The spheres size is determined by distance from camera, but I don't want
> that...I want a small fixed size point of light for each coordinate star, that I
> can vary the brightness of (to mimic the abs mag of the star), and also the
> colour of each.
>
> Any ideas...even if you just refer me to a tutorial !

varying brightness and controlling colour, you could use emissive media instead
of light sources, perhaps.

<http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Media_Types#Emission>

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> Hi, I have only started on POV RAY for a day or so, so please go gently!
>   I am trying to produce a 3D set of point light sources which the camera can
> view.
> Imagine that they were 10 or so stars in a Night Sky constellation. I know how
> to get the
> star coordinates etc etc, but have so far only used SPHERE as each object star.
> The spheres size is determined by distance from camera, but I don't want
> that...I want a small fixed size point of light for each coordinate star, that I
> can vary the brightness of (to mimic the abs mag of the star), and also the
> colour of each.
>
> Any ideas...even if you just refer me to a tutorial !
>
> Many Thanks
> Jezza

First, you can never see a light source, so, that's not an option.

Place all of your «stars» at the same distance. That way, they can all
be of the same size.
Next, it's just a mater of setting the brightness and colour.

You can use the aoi pattern. It's similar to the slope pattern, but the
direction is relative to the direction at witch it is viewed.
Povray wiki page on that subject :
  http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Aoi_Pattern

Make the spheres large enough that they cover a few pixel. Make the
pigment black when viewed tangentially and the desired colour when
viewed perpendicularly.
Now, if the colour get large, it will looks like more of the surface is
coloured.

You don't need any light, just use emission with a value ranging from 0
to 100 or even more in the finish.
Now, the pigment only need to define the actual colour and the emission
will determine the brightness.

The final result can look similar to :
texture{
  pigment{
   aoi pigment_map{
     [0.02 Star_Colour]
     [0.5  rgb 0]
     }
   }
  }
  finish{ emission Bright diffuse 0 ambient 0}
}

Where Star_colour and Bright are previously defined values.

Alain

Post a reply to this message