POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : How to check if two objects have any intersection? Server Time
28 Mar 2024 09:23:32 EDT (-0400)
  How to check if two objects have any intersection? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Kima
Subject: How to check if two objects have any intersection?
Date: 30 Jan 2020 16:10:00
Message: <web.5e33452eb572e6a0ecc0fada0@news.povray.org>
I need an if statement to check if two objects have any intersection. I assumed
trace(a, b) should give false when there is no intersection, something like

 #if ( trace(a,b) )
 #else
 #end

but apparently, trace return a vector, when if statement needs a numeric
expression.

How can I check if two objects have any overlap in an if statement?

Post a reply to this message

> I need an if statement to check if two objects have any intersection. I assumed
> trace(a, b) should give false when there is no intersection, something like
>
>  #if ( trace(a,b) )
>  #else
>  #end
>
> but apparently, trace return a vector, when if statement needs a numeric
> expression.
>
> How can I check if two objects have any overlap in an if statement?

I guess you'd need to write a macro which takes the two objects and returns a
bool, true if the bounding boxes overlap (or whichever method you use to
determine "intersection").

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message