POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Bright Spot Server Time
28 Mar 2024 12:09:12 EDT (-0400)
  Bright Spot (Message 1 to 10 of 14)
From: AndreyG
Subject: Bright Spot
Date: 20 Dec 2019 20:35:00
Message: <web.5dfd75fdec9eb23a8dfadf040@news.povray.org>
I image wood textured surface covered with glass.
Camera positioned perpendicular to imaged surface
Illumination done using Parallel light source.
Light falls perpendicular to imaged surface.
When there is no glass camera shows image with uniformal brightness across the

When image overlaid with glass camera depicts bright spot right in the centre of
the image.
As it is shown here:
https://imgur.com/a/xzflV2T

What causes bright spot? Is it reflection of light source? But there is no
source, all light rays a parallel and fall perpendicularly to the surface. What
causes bright spot?

Post a reply to this message

> I image wood textured surface covered with glass.
> Camera positioned perpendicular to imaged surface
> Illumination done using Parallel light source.
> Light falls perpendicular to imaged surface.
> When there is no glass camera shows image with uniformal brightness across the
> field – what I would expect.
> When image overlaid with glass camera depicts bright spot right in the centre of
> the image.
> As it is shown here:
> https://imgur.com/a/xzflV2T
>
> What causes bright spot? Is it reflection of light source? But there is no
> source, all light rays a parallel and fall perpendicularly to the surface. What
> causes bright spot?

It is the reflection of the light source. In your case, I assume you have:

light_source {
   <0, 0, 0>
   color rgb YourColor
   translate YourLightPosition
   parallel
}

The term parallel does not mean that the light source becomes a wide,
flat, surface. It remains a point light and is reflected as such.
Parallel only means that the incident light rays on the surface from a
very distant source are parallel, like for instance Sun light. See:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Light_Source#Parallel_Lights

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message