POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Generate normal map Server Time
20 Apr 2024 07:09:20 EDT (-0400)
  Generate normal map (Message 1 to 10 of 18)
From: Josh
Subject: Generate normal map
Date: 1 Oct 2019 17:35:01
Message: <web.5d93c59f47aa2457bde26add0@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

Does anyone know how I would generate a normal map of an object in povray? I
have a scene with a single asteroid in it, and I need to generate a normal map
of it so it can be lit up properly in a 2D game.

Also, how would I render the asteroid with only ambient light? Since there are
already lights in the game...

Thanks!

Josh

Post a reply to this message

> Does anyone know how I would generate a normal map of an object in povray? I
> have a scene with a single asteroid in it, and I need to generate a normal map
> of it so it can be lit up properly in a 2D game.
>
> Also, how would I render the asteroid with only ambient light? Since there are
> already lights in the game...
>
> Thanks!
>
> Josh

I'm not sure you want to use a normal map, or even just a normal for what you
want to do.

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Normal_Map

I'd probably use an isosurface sphere and perturb the surface with a noise
function to get real 3D displacement.

http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/simple.htm#sphere
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/builtin1.htm#sphere1
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/parametric.htm#sphere2
http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/patterns.htm#noise

http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/combine.htm#add

As for the lighting, you can use
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Global_Settings#Ambient_Light

combined with

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Finish

however, to give a "realistic" look to the object, I'd think you'd want to try
to create a light source in your scene so the POV-Ray light source is in
approximately the same relative position as the one in the game.

We'd need more details and perhaps a diagram or screenshot to really give you
better advice.
Are you animating this?

Post a reply to this message

> > Does anyone know how I would generate a normal map of an object in povray? I
> > have a scene with a single asteroid in it, and I need to generate a normal map
> > of it so it can be lit up properly in a 2D game.
> >
> > Also, how would I render the asteroid with only ambient light? Since there are
> > already lights in the game...
> >
> > Thanks!
> >
> > Josh
>
> I'm not sure you want to use a normal map, or even just a normal for what you
> want to do.
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Normal_Map
>
> I'd probably use an isosurface sphere and perturb the surface with a noise
> function to get real 3D displacement.
>
> http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/simple.htm#sphere
> http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/builtin1.htm#sphere1
> http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/parametric.htm#sphere2
> http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/patterns.htm#noise
>
> http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/combine.htm#add
>

> As for the lighting, you can use
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Global_Settings#Ambient_Light
>
> combined with
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Finish
>
> however, to give a "realistic" look to the object, I'd think you'd want to try
> to create a light source in your scene so the POV-Ray light source is in
> approximately the same relative position as the one in the game.
>
> We'd need more details and perhaps a diagram or screenshot to really give you
> better advice.
> Are you animating this?

Sorry, I should have been more clear. I need to create a normal map of the
asteroid because the generated sprite (lit only with ambient light) and normal
map, are going to be used in a 2D game that has its own lights. The game engine
uses the sprite and normal map to properly light the sprite. Also, I had found a
script that generates the mesh, so at this point I'm just trying to figure out
how to generate a normal map of it, and to light it with only ambient light.
Thanks!

Post a reply to this message