POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : translation / rotation query Server Time
19 Apr 2024 05:43:31 EDT (-0400)
  translation / rotation query (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Bob Frew
Subject: translation / rotation query
Date: 18 Sep 2019 14:51:14
Message: <5d827ca2@news.povray.org>
Hi ,
does anyone knows a way to achieve the following.

For any line with p1 and p2 as the end points to translate/rotate as
necessary to put
         p1 at <0,0,0> and p2 on the x axis
I need to then know necessary translate/rotate to be able to put them
back.

I can see how to do this by evaluating all possible orientations for p2
after moving p1 to <0,0,0>
This will end up very "heavy duty" so (as I know nothing of matrices
etc.) I thought I would ask you guys if there is a more elegant way
before going down that road.

Hopeful     ... Bob

A pointer in the right direction would be good (no pun intended)

Post a reply to this message

Bob Frew <bob### [at] ntlworldcom> wrote:
> Hi ,
> does anyone knows a way to achieve the following.
>
> For any line with p1 and p2 as the end points to translate/rotate as
> necessary to put
>          p1 at <0,0,0> and p2 on the x axis
> I need to then know necessary translate/rotate to be able to put them
> back.
>
> I can see how to do this by evaluating all possible orientations for p2
> after moving p1 to <0,0,0>
> This will end up very "heavy duty" so (as I know nothing of matrices
> etc.) I thought I would ask you guys if there is a more elegant way
> before going down that road.
>
> Hopeful     ... Bob
>
> A pointer in the right direction would be good (no pun intended)

You're going to first translate the line segment to the origin.

Then you can determine the angle of the p2 endpoint projected onto the x-z
plane.
an atan2 with that vector and <1,0,0> gives you a rotation around the y axis.

Then you do another atan2 with the resulting vector in the x-y plane to give the
rotation angle around the z axis necessary to place it coincident with the
x-axis.

You simply rotate around z by the negative angle, rotate around y by _that_
negative angle, and translate back to the original p1.

Just simple trig - no matrices.

Check out       http://f-lohmueller.de/pov_tut/a_geo/a_geo80e.htm

Post a reply to this message

Bob Frew <bob### [at] ntlworldcom> wrote:
> For any line with p1 and p2 as the end points to translate/rotate as
> necessary to put
>          p1 at <0,0,0> and p2 on the x axis
> I need to then know necessary translate/rotate to be able to put them
> back.

transforms.inc has some useful macros for this sort of thing (see
http://www.povray.org/documentation/3.7.0/r3_4.html#r3_4_9_1_29).

For example, you could do

translate -p1 Reorient_Trans(p2-p1, x)

then

Reorient_Trans(x, p2-p1) translate p1

It would be useful to know the wider context of what you're trying to do. There
might be a larger elegant solution that helps even more!

Bill

Post a reply to this message

> does anyone knows a way to achieve the following.
>
> For any line with p1 and p2 as the end points to translate/rotate as
> necessary to put
>          p1 at <0,0,0> and p2 on the x axis
> I need to then know necessary translate/rotate to be able to put them back.
>
> I can see how to do this by evaluating all possible orientations for p2
> after moving p1 to <0,0,0>
> This will end up very "heavy duty" so (as I know nothing of matrices
> etc.) I thought I would ask you guys if there is a more elegant way
> before going down that road.
>
> Hopeful     ... Bob
>
> A pointer in the right direction would be good (no pun intended)

Hi and thanks for those replies.

After I posted the query I remembered a piece of code from years ago I
had used. So I dug it out this morning. Someone else may need this

#macro placeObj(obj,V1,V2)
    #local mp = <(V1.x + V2.x)/2,(V1.y + V2.y)/2,(V1.z + V2.z)/2>;  //
mid point
    #local V2N = V2 - mp;
    #local V3 = VPerp_To_Plane(V1, V2);

    #declare newxdir = vnormalize(V2N);
    #declare newydir = vnormalize(V3);
    #declare newzdir = vcross(newxdir, newydir);
    #declare transamnt = mp;

    #declare placedObj = object {obj
            matrix < newxdir.x, newxdir.y, newxdir.z,
                     newydir.x, newydir.y, newydir.z,
                     newzdir.x, newzdir.y, newzdir.z,
                     transamnt.x, transamnt.y, transamnt.z >
               }
#end

I may have tweaked this, but I did not write it (anyone know who did ?)
It seems to work well.

The problem is I don't understand it so I will probably write my own as
per Bald Eagle suggestion.
My subconscious must have known there was a matrix in there somewhere.

Thanks again    .... Bob

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'smiley3.png' (2 KB)