POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray Cloud Rendering Server Time
28 Mar 2024 17:18:41 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray Cloud Rendering (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Steve Anger
Subject: POV-Ray Cloud Rendering
Date: 2 Aug 2019 14:20:01
Message: <web.5d447e9f819e6d1a8bed1fa0@news.povray.org>
I'm looking for some advise from anyone who has experience rendering long
animations to virtual cloud servers. Any feedback on what services have given
the best price/performance with POV-Ray (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, etc). Are
there any scripts available to automatically assign portions of the task to
cloud servers or have you found it simpler to just split the task between
servers manually.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm looking for some advise from anyone who has experience rendering long
> animations to virtual cloud servers. Any feedback on what services have given
> the best price/performance with POV-Ray (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, etc). Are
> there any scripts available to automatically assign portions of the task to
> cloud servers or have you found it simpler to just split the task between
> servers manually.

Jakob Flierl (Koppi on newsgroups) posted a pointer to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PyRjMQ0-Xik

in the thread:

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.57190929c0fb63c55802fb0%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=407886

where he posted additional information such as a link to some set up
scripts at :

https://github.com/bullet-physics-playground/bpp/issues/8

There have been other posts about cloud rendering - including an example
of an implementation by AWS folks for some feature using POV-Ray as the
vehicle, but I didn't quickly find those links in my notes. A POV-Ray
site search on cloud would likely would turn most of those up.

If you make progress, I'm interested in what you find. Such work is
still on my, try-it-someday list. My current interest is mostly with
running the thousands of test cases I've accumulated over the past few
years.

Years back, cost wise, I looked at AWS and thought their bid for free
time mode would be cheaper than having a second local machine or two
onto which to offload work given bid history at the time. I have though,
complications in sometimes wanting machines not running other things for
performance comparison work(1). Dedicated machines looked more expensive.

I have, off and on, been working on creating virtual machines local to
my machine to learn. It looks like the kvm, qemu, libvirt stuff can
emulate to the cpu type level in addition to OS images. Are there
virtual hardware counters and such I could use to measure performance in
a repeatable, dedicated machine way. This would make a cloud solution
more attractive to me. Are such virtual CPUs affected by other VMs
running on the same real machine - I don't know. My VM play is still
very basic.

Bill P.

(1) My image comparison test cases capture and compare time for gross
ideas of performance change. These times are not reliable unless the
machine is doing nothing but a chain of single, one threaded render
tests, at a time.

Post a reply to this message

> I have, off and on, been working on creating virtual machines local to
> my machine to learn. It looks like the kvm, qemu, libvirt stuff can
> emulate to the cpu type level in addition to OS images. Are there
> virtual hardware counters and such I could use to measure performance in
> a repeatable, dedicated machine way. ...

I wonder whether the 'cpuset' pseudo file system stuff (man section 7) could be
useful to you.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

> I'm looking for some advise from anyone who has experience rendering long
> animations to virtual cloud servers. Any feedback on what services have given
> the best price/performance with POV-Ray (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, etc). Are
> there any scripts available to automatically assign portions of the task to
> cloud servers or have you found it simpler to just split the task between
> servers manually.

I used the $200 trial period for Azure a few years ago. I didn't network
more than one VM, though.

Michael

Post a reply to this message